Passed June Speaker Selection Thread

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. In the past these have always been treated as internal motions. But this argument is moot now, since we are reaching the end of the discussion period in any case.
My reasoning is as follows:
First of all, as we have removed and replaced our constitution and our rules of procedure, any precedent is weak at best.
Second, the rules for speaker selection are established in a separate section of the senate rules from "internal and external motions", are never described as motions and are presented as a process :
" 1. Following a Senate election, or a vacancy in the office of Speaker, the longest serving Senator shall open a Speaker Selection in which the Senate shall vote for a new Speaker. Voting shall occur after, at minimum, 48 hours of discussion during which candidates may nominate themselves for the position and questions may be fielded to each candidate."
(Section 1)
This section never explicitly designates the process as a motion, does not use any motion like language, and specifically sets out a time period for discussion and voting, without any of the language found in the motions section allowing for a motion to close.

" 1. Senators may make any reasonable number of motions, during any period of an External or Internal Motion (as detailed in Section 3); before they come into effect the Speakermust respond to the motion."
(Section 2)
The section allowing the making of procedural motions applies specifically to External and Internal Motions , and references section 3.

" 1. All citizens may sponsor motions, upon reception of a motion the Speaker shall create a thread on the forum for the official discussion of the motion."
(Section 3)
The speaker selection was not sponsored nor submitted, it occurred according the Senate rules at a fixed period of time.

If you would like to amend the rules, the simplest change would probably be to drop the minimum down to say, 24 hours. I honestly don't think it makes sense to process the speaker selection as a motion tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.