Passed June Speaker Selection Thread

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaciosia

High Lord of All Administrators
Administrator
Oct 2, 2020
Awards
Nation
Glaciosia
My fellow Senators, I have determined myself to be the "longest serving senator" as per our rules, and therefore undertake to begin the process of speaker selection. Senators are guaranteed until 12:30 PM , EDT on the 6th to discuss the process, nominate themselves for the position and ask questions of the candidates.

In order to ensure a fair and competitive selection for Speaker, I hereby nominate myself

To the Speaker nominees: What is your plan or approach this legislative session is selected as Speaker? How will you each handle potential conflict or tension amongst Senators? How will you ensure fairness and efficiency? And are you open to support a review process of Senate rules and procedures to ensure they're fair, contemporary, and effective?

To summarize my qualifications, I have served many succesful terms as Senator and Speaker of the Senate, helped write the current Senate Rules and am a reasonably accomplished legislator. I anticipate these next two months being my most active for a while, and hope to server the Union well.

What is your plan or approach this legislative session is selected as Speaker? How will you each handle potential conflict or tension amongst Senators? How will you ensure fairness and efficiency? And are you open to support a review process of Senate rules and procedures to ensure they're fair, contemporary, and effective?

1. I will execute the rules of the Senate as written, and attempt to rouse the Senate to activity as much as possible. I will also be sure to delegate more of my powers as Speaker to act when I'm busy or not online to the Deputy Speaker.
2. While the role of the Speaker is not necessarily one of mediator, I hope I can use my powers to keep discussion polite and professional, and informally work to resolve differences.
3. This Senate term will be my most attentive yet and for a long while. I will try to avoid using my office in a biased manner, and the new mechanisms of override and a simpler mechanism for removing the speaker will, I hope, maintain a higher standard for the office no matter whoe holds it.
4. It is my hope that our days old Senate rules are reasonably fit to purpose, but I would be open and supportive of the continued process of emendation to make sure they fit the evolving needs of our body.

Thank you for your thought provoking questions!

Reactions: XanPlex
What is your plan or approach this legislative session is selected as Speaker?
That same as it has ever been, keeping the senate flowing through.
How will you each handle potential conflict or tension amongst Senators?
In my three terms in the Senate, and observing it from outside, there hasn’t been any conflict that wasn’t reconciled without problem. I don’t foresee any tensions that could spark a conflict. But if it does, I can assure you I will be strict and firm.
How will you ensure fairness and efficiency?
I have been called a very effective speaker by many citizens inside and out of the chamber. My term as speaker and deputy speaker before that are a testament to that efficiency. Us have also set and followed the precedent of voting last, so that I can be a tiebreaker should the situation ask me to be.
And are you open to support a review process of Senate rules and procedures to ensure they're fair, contemporary, and effective?
Of course, any proposal to make it more streamlined than before is always welcome.

Isles has proven himself to be a great speaker- He has my vote.

My understanding of the rules of procedure is that the speaker selection is not an external or internal motion to which that motion is applicable. The period will remain open. ro

This seems like a unintentional but obvious gap or error in Senate Rules. There isn't any reason we need to continue debate. But, if there is nothing we can do at this moment, so be it.

I suggest revision in the future.

Thank you Speaker!

I agree with Xan here. There isn’t much to discuss. We know the two candidates well, we most likely have our minds already made up, so why couldn’t we close the debate and speed this charade up?

We should really revisit this section of the Senate rules once we select our Speaker. It seems....wasteful and the opposite of efficient.

My understanding of the rules of procedure is that the speaker selection is not an external or internal motion to which that motion is applicable. The period will remain open. ro
I disagree. In the past these have always been treated as internal motions. But this argument is moot now, since we are reaching the end of the discussion period in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.