Passed Tiebreaker Act

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacento

Citizen
Oct 27, 2020
Awards

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To amend the bill "the Elections Act"
Introduced into the General Assembly of the Union of Democratic States on the 8th of March, 2021, by @Dyl
As follows:

REALIZING the lack of a tiebreaking procedure in single-seat elections,
CONCERNED that this may lead to unclear election outcomes in the future,
RECOGNIZING that this was the result of an oversight and was intended to have been initially included,
BELIEVING that this ought to corrected,
BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly:

Section 1: Definitions and Short Title
1. This Act may be referenced as the "Tiebreaker Act"

2. For the purposes of this act:
a. "Borda count" shall be defined as "Candidates receive one point for each last place vote received, two points for each second-to-last place vote received, three points for each third-to-last place vote received, and so on. A candidate's Borda count is equal to their total number of points."
Section 2: Amendments

1. Section 2: "Single-Seat Electoral System" shall be amended to read as follows:
“Section 2: Single-Seat Electoral System

1. All single seat elections shall use Instant Run-Off Voting (IRV), in this system voters will rank each candidate as well as Re-Open Renominations (RON).
a. “1” shall be the highest rank and the lowest rank shall be all candidates in total plus one.

2. At the end of the single-seat election all “1”, or first choice, ballots shall be counted, if a candidate or RON receives a majority of first choice votes the election shall end, with a Nation elected.
a. In the case of RON receiving a majority of first choice votes a run-off election shall be held, occurring 48 hours afterwards in accordance with other electoral rules.

3. If no candidate or RON receives a majority the candidate who received the least amount of first choice votes shall be eliminated, those who voted for this candidate will have their second choice votes be distributed amongst remaining candidates.
a. This process shall repeat for third choice votes, etc. until a candidate or RON receives a majority of votes.
b. If a voter’s second choice candidate has been eliminated when their vote is being distributed their third choice vote shall be distributed instead; this process shall be repeated as many times as necessary.”

4. If a candidate is to be eliminated, and there is a tie between two or more candidates with the fewest number of votes, the candidate with the lowest Borda count shall be eliminated.

Thanks, Sacento. I'll repeat my introduction from the GA's proceedings, as the same words hold true.

This motion has a simple purpose - it aims to plug a major hole in the Elections Act, as the recent motion to amend was passed without the inclusion of a tiebreaking procedure for single-seat elections.

With this amendment, single-seat elections will use a Borda count-style tiebreaker. Basically, for each candidate involved in the tie, their placement on each ballot will be added up, with a last-place vote giving them one point and a first-place vote giving them points equal to the number of places. Then, the candidate with the lower Borda count is eliminated.

This tiebreaking method is the optimal route for ensuring the elections run smoothly moving forward.

A simple, sensible amendment to address an oversight. Full support.

Full support. I really don't even have anything other to add than that. This is a very simple issue and an obvious solution to it.

I agree, there is not anything that needs changing. All the support from me.

I move to close the debate period.

Aye.

I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. The motion is approved.

Since no amendments were introduced, we now move to voting on the bill

With 5 votes in favour and nine against, I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. The bill is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.