Passed The Elections (Amendment) Act, 2022.

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EUKBICR

The Devil
Citizen
Oct 25, 2020
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION
To Amend The Elections Act of 2021(UL-018), Introduced into the Senate of the Union of Democratic States on the 18th of August 2022, by @Kanglia
As follows:

Recognizing the necessity of fair and honest elections.
Believing that the current system can be improved upon.
Acknowledging the election guidelines are not enshrined and therefore whimsically modifiable
Be it enacted by the Senate

Section 1. Amendments

The following shall be inserted as a new section in UL-018, “The Elections Act”:

Section 6: Basic Guidelines
  1. The NationStation Rules, Discord Terms of Service, UDS Administrative Team Rules, and regional law must be obeyed at all times.
  2. All campaign messages are expected to be thoughtful. Spam or the posting of multiple repetitive messages is prohibited.
  3. The Electoral Commission is the sole authority on the interpretation and enforcement of these rules. Should an action come close to but not necessarily violate the text of these rules, the Electoral Commission may determine wrongdoing.
  4. Violation of these rules may result in action taken against the offender, including the possibility of removal from the ballot.

Section 7: Campaign Rules Pertaining to On-Site Campaigning

1. Regional Officers (ROs) are forbidden from using their permissions to influence the outcome of an election. No RO with the “communications” permission may send a region-wide telegram supporting a campaign. No RO with the “appearance” permission may promote a campaign on the world factbook entry.
  2. Telegrams concerning a campaign must be limited to one recipient at a time. The use of the regional API or stamps for the dissemination of telegrams concerning a campaign are prohibited to promote fair and honest campaigns.
  3. Candidates are permitted to make RMB posts concerning their campaign wherein they may cite their forum campaign thread or any other campaign method(i.e. dispatches) but may not post their platform in full.
  4. RMB campaigning must follow the Standard Operating Procedures of the RMB Rules & Etiquette. The Election Commision may, at their discretion, institute a character limit on RMB campaign posts.

Section 8: Campaign Rules Pertaining to the Forum

1. All forum campaigning must be limited to the Liberty Square sub-forum under Union Center.
  2. Campaigns must limit their primary promotional activities to one clearly marked campaign thread.
  3. All players are welcome to respond and discuss candidate-related matters in a candidate’s campaign thread.

Section 9 Campaign Rules Pertaining to Discord

1. All Discord campaigning must be limited to the #campaign-channel on the main UDS Discord server.
  2. The use of images shall be allowed on limited basis. Excessive spam of images will result in the same penalties as spam in other areas of the Discord would, and could result in removal from the ballot.

Last edited:
Thank you Mr. Speaker.
My fellow Senators, the Election Commission has previously had election rules that had no legal standing or binding, and could thus be changed for every new commissioner if that was their prerogative. Therefore, elections could, in theory, have had rule changes for almost every single term and lead to a disorganized mess of democracy. Formalizing the election rules created by the Commission will give firm stability regardless of who oversees our election process. Additionally, the changes made to allow for more RMB campaigning and images in a small capacity are done in hopes to spurn further activity and create a larger and more interested electorate. It is my hope that passing this Amendment will create more activity and allow our region further electoral stability throughout our election process no matter who resides on the Election Commission.

I don't feel this is a huge issue but like, sure? I will be proposing amendments

The NationStation Rules, Discord Terms of Service, UDS Administrative Team Rules, and regional law must be obeyed at all times.
This is unnecessary, stating that rules must be followed is redundant.
  1. The Electoral Commission is the sole authority on the interpretation and enforcement of these rules. Should an action come close to but not necessarily violate the text of these rules, the Electoral Commission may determine wrongdoing.
  2. Violation of these rules may result in action taken against the offender, including the possibility of removal from the ballot.
I would prefer these to be stated in a more authoritative way, ie . listing what actions the electoral commission may take against an offender.
Additionally, by i think that first clause is troublesome as the Supreme Court is likely in a position to interpret these laws.

"8. The Supreme Court holds legal jurisdiction on all matters, including criminal and civil law, as well as the interpretation of all legally enforceable documents."

Rendering that clause potentially unconstitutional.

Regional Officers (ROs) are forbidden from using their permissions to influence the outcome of an election. No RO with the “communications” permission may send a region-wide telegram supporting a campaign. No RO with the “appearance” permission may promote a campaign on the world factbook entry.

Everything after the first sentence is unnecessary, and would be useful for a public facing explanation of the rules but not a law.

Telegrams concerning a campaign must be limited to one recipient at a time. The use of the regional API or stamps for the dissemination of telegrams concerning a campaign are prohibited to promote fair and honest campaigns.
Likewise, the explanatory statement here is unnecessary.

Candidates are permitted to make RMB posts concerning their campaign wherein they may cite their forum campaign thread or any other campaign method(i.e. dispatches) but may not post their platform in full.
This could be made more concise by just saying "may cite their forum campaign thread or dispatches". I would also prefer it to be "must" but that's minor.

RMB campaigning must follow the Standard Operating Procedures of the RMB Rules & Etiquette.
Also redundant.

All players are welcome to respond and discuss candidate-related matters in a candidate’s campaign thread.
unnnecessary.

I will format my suggestions into specific amendments later.

Since nobody else is proposing amendments(lol) I'll go ahead and propose a few of the ones I agreed/understood the position of from Glac.

-Remove the sentences "No RO with the “communications” permission may send a region-wide telegram supporting a campaign. No RO with the “appearance” permission may promote a campaign on the world factbook entry." from 7.1
-Remove "The use of the regional API or stamps for the dissemination of telegrams concerning a campaign are prohibited to promote fair and honest campaigns." from 7.2
-Remove 8.3 ("All players are welcome to respond and discuss candidate-related matters in a candidate’s campaign thread.")

I move to strike Section 6, clauses 3 and 4 and replace it with a new clause:
3. The Electoral Commission is the sole authority on the interpretation and enforcement of these rules, and shall be granted discretion in enforcing them.
a. The Electoral Commission may establish more specific rules and advice.
b. The Electoral Commission may remove from the ballot a candidate who violates these rules.

I move to strike "to promote fair and honest campaigns"

I move to strike Section 9 and replace it with:
1. All Discord campaigning must be limited to the #campaign-channel on the main UDS Discord server.

b. The use of images shall be allowed on a limited basis.”

2. Repetitive or low-quality messages are not permitted on any platform.

I move to strike "RMB campaigning must follow the Standard Operating Procedures of the RMB Rules & Etiquette."

I move to combine all three sections into one, named "Campaign Rules", and renumber clauses accordingly.

I request that the speaker close debate. I also would like to ask my fellow senators not to approve Kanglia's amendment

-Remove "The use of the regional API or stamps for the dissemination of telegrams concerning a campaign are prohibited to promote fair and honest campaigns." from 7.2

and adopt

I move to strike "to promote fair and honest campaigns"

To retain the prohibition of using API, which could otherwise be argued as only having one recipient at a time.

The following amendments have been proposed:
  1. The sentences "No RO with the “communications” permission may send a region-wide telegram supporting a campaign. No RO with the “appearance” permission may promote a campaign on the world factbook entry." be removed from Section 7 Clause 1.
  2. The sentence "The use of the regional API or stamps for the dissemination of telegrams concerning a campaign are prohibited to promote fair and honest campaigns." be removed from Section 7 Clause 2.
  3. Section 8 Clause 3 be removed.
  4. Section 6, Clauses 3 and 4 be removed and replaced with
    1. 3. The Electoral Commission is the sole authority on the interpretation and enforcement of these rules, and shall be granted discretion in enforcing them.
      b. The Electoral Commission may remove from the ballot a candidate who violates these rules.
  5. The phrase "to promote fair and honest campaigns" be removed from Section 7 Clause 2.
  6. Section 9 be removed and replaced with
    2. The use of images shall be allowed on a limited basis.”
    3. Repetitive or low-quality messages are not permitted on any platform.
  7. The sentence ""RMB campaigning must follow the Standard Operating Procedures of the RMB Rules & Etiquette." be removed from Section 7 Clause 4.
  8. Sections 7, 8 and 9 be merged under one Section, to be named "Campaign Rules" and the clauses renumbered appropriately.

1. aye
2. nay
3. aye
4. aye
5. aye
6. aye
7. aye
8. aye

1. Ayes to the right-4, Noes to the left-0. I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendment is passed.
  2. Ayes to the right-0, Noes to the left-4. I think the Noes have it. The Noes have it. The amendment fails to pass.
  3. Ayes to the right-4, Noes to the left-0. I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendment is passed.
  4. Ayes to the right-4, Noes to the left-0. I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendment is passed.
  5. Ayes to the right-4, Noes to the left-0. I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendment is passed.
  6. Ayes to the right-3, Noes to the left-1. I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendment is passed.
  7. Ayes to the right-4, Noes to the left-0. I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendment is passed.
  8. Ayes to the right-4, Noes to the left-0. I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendment is passed.

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION
To Amend The Elections Act of 2021(UL-018), Introduced into the Senate of the Union of Democratic States on the 18th of August 2022, by @Kanglia
As follows:

Recognizing the necessity of fair and honest elections.
Believing that the current system can be improved upon.
Acknowledging the election guidelines are not enshrined and therefore whimsically modifiable
Be it enacted by the Senate

Section 1. Amendments

The following shall be inserted as a new section in UL-018, “The Elections Act”:

Section 6: Basic Guidelines
  1. The NationStation Rules, Discord Terms of Service, UDS Administrative Team Rules, and regional law must be obeyed at all times.
  2. All campaign messages are expected to be thoughtful. Spam or the posting of multiple repetitive messages is prohibited.
  3. The Electoral Commission id the sole authority on the interpretation and enforcement of these rules, and shall be granted discretion in enforcing them.

Section 7: Campaign Rules

1. Regional Officers (ROs) are forbidden from using their permissions to influence the outcome of an election.
  2. Telegrams concerning a campaign must be limited to one recipient at a time. The use of the regional API or stamps for the dissemination of telegrams concerning a campaign are prohibited.
  3. Candidates are permitted to make RMB posts concerning their campaign wherein they may cite their forum campaign thread or any other campaign method(i.e. dispatches) but may not post their platform in full.
  4. The Election Commision may, at their discretion, institute a character limit on RMB campaign posts.
  5. All forum campaigning must be limited to the Liberty Square sub-forum under Union Center.
  6. Campaigns must limit their primary promotional activities to one clearly marked campaign thread.
  7. All Discord campaigning must be limited to the #campaign-channel on the main UDS Discord server.
  8. The use of images shall be allowed on a limited basis.
  9. Repetitive or low-quality messages are not permitted on any platform.

The Bill as amended is now at vote. Those in favour may say Aye, those against may say No.

Status
Not open for further replies.