Passed The Elections Act

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Chief Admin
Oct 16, 2020
Awards
Senators, the Honorable Chief Justice has submitted an Act for consideration via Senator Dawnsland. The honorable Chief Justice shall be permitted to introduce her Act, followed by Senator Dawnsland.

Elku0LO.png

Motion to Enact

The Elections Act

Sponsored by Die Kronprinzessin, Co-Sponsored by Dawnsland

RECOGNIZING that elections are a key element for any democracy;

CONCERNED that no set in stone regulations currently exist;

BELIEVING that elections ought to be standardised and easily understood;

HEREBY enacts the following as law:

Section 1: Electoral System

1. All elections shall use the Average Placement System, in this system voters will rank each candidate as well as Re-Open Renominations (RON).
a. “1” shall be the highest rank and the lowest rank shall be all candidates in total plus one.​

2. At the end of the election, all the ranks received by each candidate shall be totaled and divided by the number of voters to find each candidate’s “Average Placement”.

3. Nations will be elected if they rank higher than Re-Open Nominations within the available number of seats.

4. If available seats are left and Re-Open Nominations gains a higher average placement than any Nation, a run-off election shall be called for those empty seats with new nominations.

5. Run-off elections shall occur 48 hours after the first election and shall follow other electoral rules.

Section 2: Electoral Procedures

1. Elections shall last for 6 days, on the final 2 days of the election citizens may cast a single ballot aligned to the system in Section 1.

2. For the first 2 days of an election the Office of the Chancellor shall release a candidacy form which shall close on the 2nd day. All candidates for the election must fill this form and on the fourth day the Office of the Chancellor shall release the names of all candidates.
a. All valid candidates shall appear on the ballot.​
b. If the Chancellors reject a prospective candidate a reason shall be given publicly.​

3. Candidates for the election may campaign through it. Campaigns shall be done in appropriate spaces and in appropriate amounts as regulated by the Chancellery.

4. Further regulations regarding elections may be created by the Chancellery, these shall be publicly available, inferior to other laws, have the force of law.

Section 3: By-Elections and Special Elections

1. In the event of a vacancy in the Senate, a by-election shall be held lasting 6 days. For the first 2 days of a by-election the Office of the Chancellor shall release a candidacy form which shall close on the 2nd day, on the 4th day the ballot will open.

2. Through the by-election or special election candidates may campaign.

3. All other electoral procedures, regulations and systems provided for in this act shall be followed.
a. The Chancellery may further regulate by-elections and special elections as provided for in Section 2, 4.

Section 4: Election Reports

1). Following the conclusion of an election, referendum or plebiscite, the Office of the Chancellery shall release a detailed report on the results.

This report shall, among other things, include:
a. The total number of voters, as long as this respects each voter’s privacy.
b. The percentages and votes won by each candidate
c. The average placements of each candidate
d. The results of any runoffs that occurred

Last edited:
I yield my time, this is a needed bill, yada-yada-yada, make amendments where you see oversights and stuff

This is something that has been in talks for quite some time. I believe this act is necessary so as to regulate the process of elections. I yield my time.

Thank you both.

Senators, debate shall commence for the next 48 hours unless a motion to shorten/end the debate period is presented and accented to by the Senate.

I concur with Senator Sacento, however, I do wish to present two amendments to fix a bit of spelling/grammar.

Considering Phoenix has amendments in mind, I move to close the debate period.

Aye.

I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. The motion is approved. We now move to the amendment period for 48 hours

I have no amendments upon further review. Unfortunately we cannot go back to the discussion period but I believe this is a pretty cut-clear deal.

I propose an amendment in section 3-1. Replace “Senator being removed from office” with “vacancy in the Senate”. Sounds more dignified

Considering no other amendments were presented before the Senate, I move to close the amendment period.

My vote: Aye.

We will now be voting on the following amendment:

in section 3-1. Replace “Senator being removed from office” with “vacancy in the Senate”

Aye.

Status
Not open for further replies.