Failed Ratification of the Treaty of Constantinople

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has failed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EUKBICR

The Devil
Citizen
Oct 25, 2020
Awards

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To enact the bill "The Treaty of Constantinople"
Introduced into the Senate of the Union of Democratic States on the 21st of November, 2022, by Phoenix Coalition and Guess and Check
As follows:

The Empire of Merciam and The Union of Democratic States, endeavoring to ensure good relations and cooperation between our two great regions, and recognizing the legitimate governments of each other, have agreed to the following treaty of friendship.
Authored by: Leo Arche

Article I: Mutual Recognition of Government

I.1. The signatories to this treaty recognize the government of each region based upon its constitutions and laws as legitimate, and will not extend that recognition to any government that comes to power through means not proscribed by law, which the legitimate government shall determine in question.

I. 2. Should the government of either signatory fundamentally change, but not violate the terms of the previous section, the signatories may adopt a memorandum of understanding extending the provisions of this treaty to the new government.

Article II: Pact of Non-Aggression

II. 1. The signatories to this treaty vow neither to attack the home region or territories of the other signatory nor participate in any action with the intent to overthrow their legitimate government.

II. 2. Both signatories will refrain from conspiring, either directly, or through a third signatory, to destabilize or overthrow the legitimate government of either signatory.

II. 3. Both signatories will refrain from conducting clandestine operations, espionage, or other forms of spying against either signatory.

II. 4. Both signatories will in good faith, report any known threat or concern related to the other signatory's security to the appropriate security organs.

Article III: Cultural Exchange and Cooperation

III. 1. The signatories to this treaty will endeavor to conduct communal cultural activities to benefit the people of both signatories and strengthen the institutions of peace and liberty.

III. 2. The citizens of The Union of Democratic States are welcome to participate in Merciam’s regional and citizen-led roleplays without requiring citizenship in Merciam. The Foreign Office will grant cultural visas to their citizens.

III. 3. The citizens of Merciam are welcome to participate in The Union of Democratic States’ regional and citizen-led roleplays without requiring citizenship in The Union of Democratic States. The Foreign Office will grant cultural visas to their citizens.

III. 4. The signatories agree to extend invitations to each other regarding significant cultural activities through their ambassadors.

III. 5. The signatories agree to plan a cultural activity to celebrate the passage of this treaty to the benefit of the people of both signatories.

Article IV: International and Diplomatic Affairs

IV. 1. Merciam and The Union of Democratic States’ World Assembly Delegates and World Assembly intergovernmental organizations may participate in mutual cooperation in matters related to the World Assembly, including but not limited to resolution discussions, resolution drafting, and vote coordination.

IV. 2. The signatories agree to settle any and all disputes between them through peaceful means and to refrain from using the threat of force or sanction against one another while this treaty is in effect.

IV. 3. The signatories agree to maintain forum-side and game-side embassies according to their internal procedures.

Article V: Deposit, Clarification, and Suspension

V. 1. This Treaty shall be deposited in a publicly accessible and noticeable location on both of the signatories’ forums, or another location that is used for the conduction of the signatories’ government business.

V. 2. The signatories to this treaty may, from time to time, clarify the terms of this treaty through memorandums of understanding, which shall be posted alongside the treaty.

V. 3. Either signatory may suspend the terms of the treaty if the other signatory has materially breached its terms until such a time that both signatories peacefully settle the dispute and adopt a memorandum of understanding that the treaty is again in effect.

V. 4. Either signatory may terminate the treaty with ten days' notice, posted publicly in the forum of deposit in both regions, after which the treaty's terms are no longer binding on either signatory.

Article VI: Enactment

VI. 1. This Treaty shall be considered enacted once it has been approved by the legislative processes of both of the signatories, and all conditions and terms have been met.
I invite @Zukchiva to introduce.

Merciam is a cool region and one whom we've grown close with the past few months. While it may be odd to present a treaty this early into a relationship that hasn't existed for even half a year, the Executive believes Merciam's case - considering our already existing cross-membership, shared cultural events, and similar atmospheres, justifies the ratification of a treaty. We also hope this treaty will serve as a means to further bolster our relations with the region. I therefore urge the Senate to pass this treaty.

Mister Speaker, I have nothing further to add but to thank my Vice President for posting this on my behalf.

Inasmuch as I welcome new interregional friends, I fear whoever drafted this treaty doesn't know much about the UDS...
III. 3. The citizens of Merciam are welcome to participate in The Union of Democratic States’ regional and citizen-led roleplays without requiring citizenship in The Union of Democratic States. The Foreign Office will grant cultural visas to their citizens.
Two issues here, firstly the UDS doesn't have a permanent 'Foreign Office', our Ministry of Foreign Affairs is established by EO, not the constitution, accordingly we can't put it into a treaty because that means the region has an interregional committment to always have a 'Foreign Office'. Instead, it should reference the Government or President generally. Secondly, the UDS doesn't presently use Cultural Visas for anything, much less our Roleplays. Accordingly, this mistake would imply that our Government would no longer let foreign visitors participate in our Roleplays and region-lock it to treaties.

I would also like to ask the President how soon will we see of Article 3, 5 - considering that Article 6, 1 demands that 3, 5 is completed before the treaty is in effect.

• Angry
Reactions: Phoenix and Canary
I concur with Kron.
We don’t have a permanent foreign office. We just have a ministry that is always, for the lack of a better word, created by the new president. Since the president is the chief diplomat and the executive head of the UDS, the treaty should refer to the president and the office of the president wherever a minister or ministry is mentioned. I would suggest that the president and the government go back to the table to review the treaty.
3.5 and 6.1 draw us in a catch 22 scenario. We cannot have a celebration until the treaty is signed and the treaty cannot be signed until we have a celebration. So……

• Angry
Reactions: Phoenix
Motion to Table, to allow us time to modify the treaty accordingly to our Senate's, you know what, screw it. Salty bitch time.

To our Seante's most wholeness desires to be the best legally sound region in the world, even if it means making life more difficult for themselves and everyone else involved.

Reactions: Kron
As per Senate procedure, I second the motion and apologise for doing my job too effectively and making everyone's lives harder ;p

• Angry
Reactions: Phoenix
Treaty is tabled until further notice.
By the order of the Speaker of the Senate of the Union of Democratic States, in his own hand and of his own mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.