Passing the Torch

Thatcher

Citizen
Dec 18, 2015
Awards
Passing the Torch

For those who know me, this announcement is long overdue. There never is a wrong time, however long delayed, to do the right thing. As I have gotten older, my life outside of this game has increasingly moved in a direction incapable of sustaining the level of activity required for the good administration of this region. While I have been able to do the bare minimum, this region deserves more from their Governor and Chief Administrator. I care very deeply for our Union, but I can no longer envision myself active again in a senior leadership role. Precisely because I love this region, I know that I must make way for a more energetic person who can make good on the important responsibilities vested in our senior leaders and facilitate not only the survival, but the growth and prosperity of our Union. This region can only do well if I step aside and let a more energetic and active player take my spot. This is a bittersweet moment, but I know in my heart that this is the right decision for me and for the region. I am not retiring from this game or departing, but merely stepping back from official capacities. While I may take a break, resigning these positions allows me to do what I love most: interact with a community I love and friends I cherish. While we all come for different reasons, I am convinced that we stay because of the community maintained and friendships built.

Therefore, effective immediately, I resign the roles of Governor and Chief Administrator.

My life and service to this region have long been intertwined. If you had pulled me aside, and told me at the age of 14 that I would be the founder of one of the most successful mid-size UCRs in this game, I would have been taken aback. Even more so, if you had told me that I would be commended by the Security Council. I am proud to say that we, as a team, have accomplished more than any one of us ever thought possible: building a healthy republic, garnering staunch allies, signing fundamental laws, constructing a network of embassies, creating a professional forum, and most importantly keeping the region safe. Just as our Union matured into the respected dignitary that she is today, many of us literally grew up alongside her. Growing sure comes with pains. I thank the entire region for their patience and grace in tolerating my many shortcomings.

I could not have performed this role without the steadfast support of a few key friends who I owe a great debt of gratitude. Khevo, for being my first friend in this game and our Union’s second-longest enrolled citizen. Ark, for seeing the potential of this place early on, taking the risk of joining, taking on a number of key positions, and mentoring its naive founder. Our administrative team has not always gotten the calls right, but because of his wisdom I can say that we have always made our very best efforts. Kade, for eagerly taking on any new role or task. Phoenix, for his friendship, energy, and devotion. Lenlyvit, Kanglia, Asdersland, Zuk, and Zion for their friendship. There are many other people that I owe thanks, but I can only mention these few in this short address.

Now. we must turn to the future. While our past has been glorious, our future is also bright. Yesterday morning, I offered Phoenix Coalition the roles of Governor and Chief Administrator and he has graciously accepted them. Phoenix has a record of four years of outstanding and dedicated service to our community. Besides the many IC roles he has held at the head of our region’s executive, from Prime Minister, President, and Director, he has been invaluable on the Administrative Team, making critical determinations as the Senior Administrator for Operations for nearly eight months. Pivotal in designing our current forum, managing our region's finances, handling onsite recruitment, and countless other matters, Phoenix knows the ins and outs of professionally managing a region of our size and caliber. In all of these roles, he has been faithful to the team’s mission, prudent in decision making, and open to the advice of wise counselors. Phoenix has the right combination of energy and prudence necessary to foster and drive our region forwards into 2024 and beyond. Perpetually rising from the ashes, I am confident that Phoenix will excel in this new role and provide invaluable leadership to the team for years to come! I pray that you extend the same grace onto Phoenix that you have extended to me, as he steps up into these new roles.

While there has been discussion of allowing me to remain as a ceremonial governor, it is critical that the administrative head of the region has the ability to energetically ensure security. The administrative team’s ethical mandate stretches back to January 4, 2019, when the administrative team promulgated its mission of maintaining a safe online community. We wrote then that “the administrative team keeps the region and its property safe” (Link). Effective administration requires real power over a region, not just a title can satisfy. Writing further, we wrote that the team is “grateful to the people of the region for placing their trust in them to keep the region safe and hopes to maintain that trust going forward.” The mandate we established endures and the trust of the people continues. But the good administration of our region requires adherence to limited administrative power and accountability to the people. It would be a breach in the effectiveness of our Administrative Team if the Governor delays the effective executive of decisions by serving as a mere ceremonial head. Hamilton writes in Federalist 70 that an energetic executive is “a leading character in the definition of good government” and “essential to the protection of the community against…attacks.” Hamilton goes on to outline that energetic executive government requires unity, duration, adequate provision for support, and competent powers. As a community we trust our Chief Administrator with supreme power, an unlimited term, a support team, and strictly defined powers over OOC security matters only and cosmetic changes with the consent of the IC government.

The project of self-government is as old as this game and even as civilization itself. This place is a special testament to that project and is as successful as the devotion to which the people give it. Reminding the students of Stanford of the transience of human life and the need for urgent action, Steve Jobs eagerly implores them that “right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away” (Link). The old is done and you are the future. The torch is passing from one generation that can no longer take primary responsibility and the next generation must step forward to catch it. Our Union can only survive if you eagerly participate. Whether making a single post or serving in a primary leadership role, every contribution matters and serves to advance the Union. Bring energy and good faith to whatever role you pursue and you will do well. We entrust the region to those who follow us. For me, this is the end of an era, but the beginning of a more glorious age for our republic, if the people can rise to the challenge.

In my address to the region after my term at its first Prime Minister, I wrote that “with our basis of democratic principles, and the idea of freedom for all, our region, has come a very long way since our humble start…we have experienced the growth of a great region, and a great community has flowered from it” (Link). I can say with confidence that these words are more true now than the day that I wrote them seven and a half years ago. With democracy as our guide, justice as our end, and good will as our means, I am confident that our region can weather any storm, survive any hardship, and beat any foe. It has been the pleasure of my 8 years on this game to serve as the head of the Administrative Team. This region endures because its leaders surrender power when their time has passed. It is a testament to the true strength of our Union that its Governor and Chief Administrator can resign and that its community can succeed and flourish. Rather than be sad at renouncing my positions, I take a certain pride in once again donning the title, “citizen.” To be a part, even in a small way, of such a project, is a privilege.

Sincerely,
Thatcher Whitehall
Citizen