North Plegia's End-of-Term Speech

North Plegia

Citizen
Jan 16, 2021
Awards

North Plegia's End-of-Term Speech (Senate Speaker; February/March 2022)

North_Plegia_Flag.jpgThe_Union_of_Democratic_States_Flag.png

I speak to you all as Speaker from the Speaker's Office. I like speaking. It's fun. But it's time to quit. My time here is over. It's finally time for the NEW BLOOD to rain over the Union of Democratic States.

Not only will this serve as an end-of-term speech, but also my final speech on NS. Not just a farewell to North Plegia, but a farewell to Josh.

My term as Senate Speaker is coming to a close after a calm and collected two months. In that time, President Sacento and his Cabinet have been at the helm, providing the Union with much-needed stability and experience.

As this legislative session ends, there'll also be a concurrent presidential election. This outgoing administration will forever be remembered as the government that achieved the impossible, making true its 500-nation pledge on population growth. Kron said "500 nations seeeeemmms [sic] unlikely". Well they've only gone and done it!

Two citizens, the Vice President and Zuk, have been the main contributors to the legislation proposed this term, and for their imagination I am thankful, even if it wasn't to Kron's exact liking.

Speaking of Kron, she's also done a good job on drafting the new Senate Rules of Procedure.

In our two months we have addressed the debate surrounding the relationship between citizenship and voting rights in a way that will optimise our recruitment efforts.

We are also a step further in clearing up our laws surrounding citizenship, and while such proposals have failed in my term, I have confidence my successors will be more than qualified to settle any issues that may arise.

The last 4.5 years have been equally a pleasure and a pain. A lot has changed since then, presumably for us all.

I've decided it's time to let go of my teenage hobbies and break my procrastinating habits. These hobbies include, among other things, this goddamn website. If you're feeling overwhelmed at all, I'd encourage you to do the same.

I've been weaning off NS for some time now, my input is nothing compared to 2017–2019. It's time to go. My predecessor, our Honorary Citizen Isles, at the very least left his end-of-term speech open-ended. He couldn't ever rule out returning. I will, however, leave no ends untied.

I may also be leaving the server at some point, I just need to scrounge the politics channel for any useful articles or other tidbits.

Moving onto bigger and better things. The reasons for this are somewhat personal. I'm at university, I live "by myself" (flatmates excluded). I haven't got the time anymore to be forming secret coalitions with WTP conspiring to conquer the region…
mwahaha!!!

Fin.

Is there a time limit on prosecuting you for that scheme or.....

In all seriousness, thank you for your years of contribution to the union and I wish you the best as far away from this website as you can flee. Good luck!

It's been a ride NP. Thanks for being a part of the region and best of luck on your next adventures. Fair winds and following seas o7

kv

I am very thankful of you especially for upholding the precedent and protocols that I had set up. Thank you for your service NP. I kept myself open ended because I am a retired person with much too much time on my hands.

you'll be back. we all know it.

if not, well fuck me i guess or something. idk. being emotionally determined Phoenix is hard these days

Thank you for your service NP, I wasn't here to see much of your tenure in the UDS, but in the relatively short time we have been in the Union together, you have been a joy to have around (most of the time /s).

Good luck