Passed Nomination of Glaciosia as Minister

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuevo San Miguel

Citizen
Oct 26, 2020
Awards
Per President Druing,

"I hereby nominate Glaciosia as a Minister without portfolio, under Article 3, Section 2.9 of the Constitution of the Union of Democratic States; This is primarily to formalise them as being capable of performing actions as part of the Union Government and increase its overall productivity."

I now open for debate the nomination of Glaciosia as Minister without a portfolio until November 5th, 4PM EST.

I find it rather open ended. What responsibilities will you be given upon appointment?

I find it rather open ended. What responsibilities will you be given upon appointment?
The goal is to make my role as VP a little more active, so I will be working alongside druing in all aspects of his authority, depending on what powers specifically I will be given.
What do you wish to do with this position?
Help the region function smoothly and help out as Druing's right hand, basically. Legally I can't have any authority without this so it's really more of a bureaucratic step.

What makes your job as Vice President any less active? Why is the office of minister without portfolio necessary?

What makes your job as Vice President any less active? Why is the office of minister without portfolio necessary?
Without this appointment, my one and only job is to manage the cabinet, which does not provide a constitutional basis for me to have any authority and act on the President's behalf. I would like to use this office to do work on behalf of the President, especially that which crosses the boundaries of ministries

Managing the cabinet is a great responsibility. Since it is not explicitly stated what management entails, it is to open to any interpretation .

Managing the cabinet is a great responsibility. Since it is not explicitly stated what management entails, it is to open to any interpretation .
With all due respect, this is a constitutionally flawed interpretation.

1. The Cabinet is the primary body of the executive branch of government.

2. The Cabinet shall be chaired by the President, managed by the Vice President, and attended by all primary officers of the executive branch of government as determined by the President, including all ministers.

3. The Cabinet shall strive to advise the President on all pertinent matters.

That is all that is said about the Cabinet.

1. The power to execute the law on behalf of the People shall be vested in a President.
4. The Vice President shall serve at the pleasure of the President and shall manage the Cabinet. Should the President dismiss the Vice President, or should the position of Vice President become vacant, the President may appoint a new Vice President.

7. The President may create ministries that bear authority over a defined section of regional management pursuant to regional law.

8. The President may nominate potential Ministers to the Senate.

9. The President may delegate their authority to Ministers who shall administer the role of the executive branch of government either as Ministers with portfolio, who oversee specific Ministries, or as Ministers without portfolio.
Nowhere in this document, or any subsequent law, is it established that the President may delegate any of their authority to the Vice President. Arguably this is a check on the power of the President, as the VP can be appointed at will of the President, which would otherwise bypass the ministerial process.

The hearing period is now over. Voting shall commence now until November 9th, at 3 PM EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.