Failed Motion to Repeal the Constitution

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has failed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asdersland

I am thou, and thou art I
Junior Administrator
Oct 2, 2020
Awards
Nation
Asdersland
The following bill has been proposed by Senator Druing. I am not at all bringing this to the floor to give you something to do while I sort out committees and the Deputy Speaker nor for entertainment and parody purposes.

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To Repeal the Constitution
Presented to the Senate of the Union of Democratic States on the 7th of April, 2021.
Sponsored by Druing.
As follows:

UNDERSTANDING that we have a Constitution ratified during the February of the previous year,

BELIEVING that as a region, we are currently lacking in nonsensical crises caused by the random, complete and total removal of said document,

CONFIDENT that there’s no possible negative outcome of such an action,

DON’T worry about it, it’s fine,

BE IT ENACTED by the Senate & General Assembly:

Section 1: Definitions & Short Title
1. This Motion may be referred to as the “1st Motion to Repeal The Constitution,” “The Most Spontaneous Repeal of A Law In Union History,” “Probably The Dumbest Idea Druing Has Ever Had In A Long Time,” “The Worst April Fools’ Joke Possibly Conceived,” and/or “Not Funny.”

Section 2: Provisions
1. The Constitution is repealed, as provisioned for under Article 7, Section 2, Clause 1 (“Following introduction in the Senate, a motion to amend or repeal this document or repeal a motion to amend this document shall follow the legislative process, requiring four-fifths majority approval of the Senate and three-fourths majority approval of the General Assembly.”).

2. That’s it. That’s the motion. No-one’s ever done this before, so there isn’t really any clue as to how you repeal a treaty through a motion to do so. Why am I writing this as a clause in the motion?

A. Hello?

@Druing, the floor is yours for your introduction.

After such eloquence, I'm not sure there's much more to be said, but I open the floor for debate.

This motion should be dealt with quickly. i motion to close debate

Nay. @Glacosia , I'm assuming oversight on your part in not officially voting?

I move to protest violation of procedure: As no amendments were proposed during the debate period, there is no need for an amendment period, as provisioned for in the Rules of Procedure.

The Senator will be reminded that Section 7.5 of the Senate Rules of Procedure states that an amendment period is to follow the general debate period. If there are no amendments, then the amendment debate and subsequent voting phases will be skipped. The protest is thus denied.

For better or worse an amendment period is provisioned for, at least according to what I'm reading.

The Senator will be reminded that Section 7.5 of the Senate Rules of Procedure states that an amendment period is to follow the general debate period. If there are no amendments, then the amendment debate and subsequent voting phases will be skipped. The protest is thus denied.

For better or worse an amendment period is provisioned for, at least according to what I'm reading.
My understanding here is the clause that I believe is being referred to here ("Upon conclusion of the debate period the Speaker will move the bill forward to the amendment period which will last a further 48 hours."), was struck following the Amendment to the Senate Rules and Procedures 2021 passed by the previous Senate.

The contents of which appear to be missing from the record in the Senate's chambers. While I have already denied the protest, we will move to the voting period as recourse. Senators, please cast your vote.

My apologies on the matter.

I move to close the voting period, as the four-fifths Senate majority constitutionally required to pass a bill of this nature is no longer attainable.

If the Senator would be so kind as to allow me to declare the voting period over before moving to that effect, that would be appreciated.

Seeing as the voting has resulted in a majority against, the bill has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.