Passed Motion to Establish the Committee on General Assembly Affairs

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.

Voting

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxsonWinter

The Greater Empire of Astrodom
Executive Cabinet
Oct 3, 2022
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To establish the Committee on General Assembly Affairs
Introduced into the Council of State of the Union of Democratic States on the 8th of May, 2023, by @TheSecond (Aarman)
As follows:​

RECOGNIZING the duty of the Council to direct the World Assembly Delegate;
CONTENDING that the Council must have a system to execute its duty effectively;
BE IT ENACTED by the Council of State:

Section 1: Short Title and Definitions
1. This bill may be referenced as a “Motion to Establish the Committee on General Assembly Affairs”.

2. To direct the World Assembly Delegate means to compel the Delegate to either abstain, vote for, or vote against a General Assembly resolution at a vote.

3. A simple majority is defined as more than half of the votes cast.

Section 2: Establishment and Purpose
1. There shall exist in the Council of State (hereinafter referred to as the Council) a Committee on General Assembly Affairs (hereinafter referred to as the Committee).

2. The Committee’s purpose does not exceed that of:
a. assessing General Assembly resolutions at a vote and in queue to be put at a vote;
b. examining all bills pertaining to directing the World Assembly Delegate to vote on General Assembly resolutions; and
c. announcing to the Council their recommendation on directing the World Assembly Delegate.

Section 3: Organization
1. The Committee shall consist of a Chairperson and no more than seven (7) Members.

2. The Speaker of the Council is responsible for appointing the Chairperson.
a. The Chairperson must be an active Councilor and a member of the General Assembly.

3. The Chairperson shall choose a Vice Chairperson from amongst the Members.
a. The Vice Chairman must be an active Councilor and a member of the General Assembly.

4. The Chairperson is charged with the appointment of the Committee’s Members.
a. Members may be Councilors and non-Councilor Citizens.
i. The Chairperson may appoint Councilors and non-Councilor Citizens with the advice of the Speaker of the Council.
ii. Non-Councilor Citizens must be in good standing with the Council of State.

Section 4: Provisions
1. The Chairperson and four (4) Members shall constitute a quorum.

2. The Chairperson and Members of the Committee shall not lose their positions due to the election or re-election of a Speaker of the Council.

3. The Chairperson is responsible for establishing the Committee’s rules, which shall have the approval of the Speaker of the Council before it takes effect.

4. The Chairperson, or if the Chairperson is not present the Vice Chairperson, shall preside over all meetings of the Committee.

5. Decisions made by the Committee shall be by a simple majority.
a. In the case of an equal number of Ayes and Nays, the Chairperson’s vote shall take precedence.

6. The Committee may request the attendance of the sponsor and cosponsor(s) of a bill; however, the Committee can not compel the attendance of Citizens.

7. All meetings conducted by the Committee are to be public.

8. The World Assembly Delegate shall not be the Chairperson or Vice Chairperson of the Committee.

Speaker, Councilors,

With the establishment of the Council of States comes our duty to give vote directives for the World Assembly Delegate. We as Councilors now have regular control over the WA Delegate when it comes to the General Assembly. A great right that it is, the Council currently has no system to effectively execute its duty, but the success of this motion will give us exactly that.

The committee I propose will help in various ways, including providing a platform for experienced Councilors to voice their insight on GA resolutions and giving Unionists reliable voices on such resolutions. This does not in any way discredit the Executive, specifically the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs.

I hope you all will assist in the success of this motion. Approval is hoped, and criticism is wanted. With that, Mr. Speaker, I yield my time.

Thank you Aarman, I Open Debate on the Motion

Mx. Speaker, I appreciate the work that has been done on this motion, but I do have one concern that I hope should never come to pass. Section 3.2 gives appointment power of the Chairperson of to the Speaker of the Council, but Section 4.2 states that the Chairperson shall not lose their position once there is a new speaker. I gather that the intent of 4.2 is to ensure that there is some political and institutional inertia to the committee (experience is the font of knowledge and wisdom, ect), but I can foresee a potential issue wherein a Chairperson argues that they cannot be dismissed once in office, as 4.2 explicitly states their time in the chair does not end with a new Speaker.
Therefore, I propose that "The Speaker of the Council shall be empowered to dismiss the Chairperson from their position." be inserted as Section 3.2.b.

I understand where the honorable councilor’s concerns lie. Yes, the intent of 4.2 is to ensure that the committee can continue performing its duties in the midst of an election for a speaker. As I see it, the current wording of 4.2 implies that the committee’s chairperson and members can not lose their positions on the committee simply because a new speaker is elected. I think that since the speaker appoints the chairperson, the speaker at has the right to dismiss the chairperson, regardless of who made the appointment. To address the Councilor’s concerns, I will accept their addition to the motion. I welcom any other changes to alter the wording of the motion so that its intentions are clear.

It has been well over 48 hours since the last discussion, therefore I close debate

Voting On the Motion will now Commence
Since no Amendments were raised to the Motion we move straight into Voting on the Main Motion

On Voting on The Motion to Establish the Committee on General Assembly Affairs

Those who Agree may say Aye
Those who do not may say No
Those who wish to still vote but not vote Aye or No Nay Abstain

(Please vote VIA The Poll)

Voting was closed Automatically by the Poll at Noon

so The Tellers have Conclued;
That in Respect of the votes on The Motion to Establish the Committee on General Assembly Affairs

The Ayes have 6
The Noes have 0

So The Ayes have it! The Ayes Have it!
The Bill will be passed by the CoS

Status
Not open for further replies.