Passed Motion to Amend the Rules of Procedure

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxsonWinter

The Greater Empire of Astrodom
Executive Cabinet
Oct 3, 2022
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To amend the resolution "Senate Rules of Procedure"
Introduced into the Council of States of the Union of Democratic States on the 14th of April, 2023, by Guess and Check (@Zukchiva)
As follows:​

RECOGNIZING that the Senate has been abolished in favor of the Council of State,
CONTENDING that this means the legislature’s current Rules of Procedures require amendment.
BE IT ENACTED by the Council of State:

Mr. Speaker, with the enactment of the Council, it is clear we necessitate changes. I therefore propose this amendment to the RoP.

Section 1: Amendments
1. Section 1, Clause 1 shall be rewritten as follows: “This Resolution may be referenced as the "Resolution to enact the Council of State’s Procedure".”
a. The name of the Rules of Procedure shall thus be recorded as “Council of State Rules of Procedure” in all archives.

2. All further references of the “Senate” shall be changed to “Council”, and all further references of “Senator” shall be changed to “Councilor”.

3. Section 2 shall be rewritten in whole as follows:
Section 2: Speaker of the Senate
1. Every three months (on the first day of February, May, August, and November), the Council shall select from amongst their numbers a Speaker of the Council of State. The Speaker shall oversee debate, moderate the Council, maintain its archives, and present applicable items to the President upon their passage.
a. The previous Speaker or the Deputy Speaker shall moderate the Speaker election.
b. Any Councilor may call for a vote of no confidence in the Speaker, which shall be presided over by their Deputy.

2. The Speaker shall be required to appoint a Deputy to act as interim Speaker in their absence, use some or all of the Speaker's powers upon request and be a general aid to the Speaker.
a. During the Speaker and their Deputy's joint absence the longest serving active Councilor shall become interim Speaker.
3. The Speaker is subject to these Rules of Procedure and must set an example for the rest of the Council of State.

4. The Speaker shall create a reasonable application method to accept or deny Councilors. Any Citizen who applies to be a Councilor may only be denied for reasons of regional security or if the Citizen is currently prohibited from serving on the Council.”

4. Section 5, Clause 3c. shall be rewritten as follows: “Expulsion from the Council, a three-fifths vote must be held in the Council to confirm this punishment; an expulsion must have a specified time period in which the affected Citizen cannot become a Councilor, with a maximum time period of one year from the vote’s end.”

Last edited:
Greetings fellow Councillors.

It is time for us to get to work, but before we do so it is clear we must bring our rules of procedures into compliance with the duties of this body.

There has been a comment that in terms of fallback for Speaker should both Speaker and Deputy Speaker go LOA, choosing the oldest Councillor is unreasonable since all of us are the oldest Councillors. I plan to introduce an amendment allowing the Vice President to serve as temporary Speaker instead, in times wherein the Speaker and Deputy are not present.

If anyone has any comments, feel free to share.

So I still have a *Slight* problem with "a. During the Speaker and their Deputy's joint absence the longest serving active Councillor shall become interim Speaker." solely because of the fact that all current councilors became councilors at the exact same time. Think that's really the only issue with this but I really don't see anything else wrong with this at all.

I propose the following amendment:
a. During the Speaker and their Deputy's joint absence the longest serving active Councillor shall become interim Speaker.

shall be changed to:
a. During the Speaker and their Deputy's joint absence, the Vice-President shall serve as President Pro Tempore and be able to exercise any powers and duties of the Speaker during said time.

The amendment and the overall bill has my approval.

We shall now move into voting
Since one amendment has been proposed to the bill we shall vote on that first

We shall now move into voting
Since one amendment has been proposed to the bill we shall vote on that first
i think since i proposed it and accepted it, it should go automatically into the motion rather than a vote

Alright
Since the writer of the Motion has proposed and accepted their own amendment, it will shall go right into the bill

We shall now start Voting on the Motion to Amend the Rules of procedure

All in Favor of the Motion say Aye
All opposed of the Motion say No

Status
Not open for further replies.