Passed Motion to Amend the Constitution (Petitions)

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EUKBICR

The Devil
Citizen
Oct 25, 2020
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To Amend the Constitution in order to make Petitions more efficient

Introduced into the Senate of the Union of Democratic States on the 23 of November, 2022, by Kron

As follows:

BELIEVING that Recall Elections and Petitions are a common good,

CONTENDING that presently they are too slow to effectively use,

FINDS that reducing their requirements will promote greater use and accountability,

BE IT ENACTED by the Senate:

Section 1: Short Title and Clarifications

1. This Act may be referenced as the "Motion to Amend the Constitution (Petitions)"

2. In this amendment, use of:

a. Strikethroughs shall denote deleted words.

b. Green text shall denote new words.

Section 2: Amendments

1. Article II, Section 4 shall be amended to read as follows"

"4. During a term citizens may petition to recall serving Senators. In order to do so, eight six signatures of citizens must be collected and presented to the Electoral Commission; this may only occur once ten eight days have passed since the last Senate Election. Following this, a by-election shall be held in which the serving Senator shall automatically be on the ballot."

2. Article III, Section 4 shall be amended to read as follows:

"4. During the term of the President, citizens may petition to recall the President and Vice President, provided that their petition has at least eight six citizen signatures. After such a petition is presented to the Electoral Committee, a by-election for the office shall be held in which the incumbent officeholders shall automatically be on the ballot. Such petitions may only be submitted thirty ten days after the President assumes office."

I thank the Speaker for proposing this bill on my behalf. Aside from the lowering the signatures in petitions from 8 to 6, as discussed in my campaign I have also taken the step to lower the time after an election where an official can't be recalled, because - as we saw this term - the actual use of recalls will typically be over inactive Senators or Presidents, most likely after an election, as such having a quick turn around time is important to make sure that the Senate and Executively respectively don't grind to a halt

I like the idea. We have already seen what happened last time. I have the dubious distinction of being the longest serving Presiding Officer of the Senate.

I would like to wave to close debate

This looks solid. I will support this when it comes to vote.

I too motion to close debate.

Since there are no amendments, we now move to formal voting. Those in favour May say Aye, those against May say No.

Ayes to the right-4
Noes to the left-0
I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. The bill is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.