Passed Motion to Amend the Constitution of The UDS

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.

VOTING ON THE CURRENT MOTION

• Nay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxsonWinter

The Greater Empire of Astrodom
Executive Cabinet
Oct 3, 2022
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To amend the Constitution
Introduced into the Council of State of the Union of Democratic States on the 28th of June, 2023, by (@Zukchiva) Guess and Check
As follows:​

BELIEVING our mutual exclusivity laws to be too restricting,
BE IT ENACTED by the Council of State:

Section 1: Amendments

1. Article VI, Clause 5 of the Constitution shall be amended to read: “The offices of President, Vice-President, Chief Justice, Justice, Speaker of the Council, and Deputy Speaker of the Council shall be mutually exclusive. No citizen may hold more than one such position at a time.”

2. Article VI, Clause 6 of the Constitution shall be amended to read, in its entirety: “Justices, including the Chief Justice, may not serve as the Attorney General.” Subclauses 6a and 6b shall be removed.

basically this clarifies that the president can serve on the Council (because that isn't really clear rn) and allows Ministers to serve as Justices (I can be more amenable to not removing this, but imo it isn't a big deal if a Justice is a Minister? I trust a Justice whose only relation to an executive-related case as just being a minister to be serve properly as justice, but the inherent conflict of interest is still there so if people don't like this, then fair enough).

also more explicitly lists who can serve where, and does put some exclusivity in that the VP is now a more restricted position (makes no sense that someoenw ho can be pres at any moment can be speaker or justice or w/e)

that's it i think, like subscribe comment down below let's hit 1909k likes

I'm all for this! I like Pres being able to chime in on laws being discussed, VP being restricted as well makes sense to me, and allowing ministers to concurrently serve as justices will allow our court to have more knowledgeable folks serving.

I second the motion

The Motion to go to a Vote has been Seconded
Debate has now Ceased

Voting On the Motion will now Commence
Since no Amendments were raised to the Motion we move straight into Voting on the Main Motion

On Voting on Motion to Amend the Constitution

Those who Agree may say Aye
Those who do not may say No
Those who wish to still vote but not vote Aye or No may Abstain

(Please vote VIA The Poll)

The Tellers have Concluded;
That in Respect of the votes on The Motion to Amend the Constitution
The Ayes have 4
The Noes have 0

So The Ayes have it! The Ayes Have it!
The Bill will be passed by the CoS

Status