Passed Motion to Amend the Constitution (Judicial Section)

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.

VOTING ON THE CURRENT MOTION

• Nay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxsonWinter

The Greater Empire of Astrodom
Executive Cabinet
Oct 3, 2022
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To amend the Constitution in order to alter the Selection of Supreme Court Justices
Introduced into the Council of State of the Union of Democratic States on the DAY of July, 2023, by Kron
As follows:​

UNDERSTANDING that the former Senate has neglected its duty to confirm Justices,
CONTENDING that that Council of State should not do so,
BELIEVES a more flexible system will discourage such failures
BE IT ENACTED by the Council of Estate:

Section 1: Definitions and Short Title
1. This Act may be referenced as the "Motion to Amend the Constitution"

Section 2: Article 4 of the Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:

The judicial power of the government shall be vested in the Supreme Court, which shall be composed of an elected Chief Justice, who leads the Supreme Court, a Deputy Chief Justice, and up to three Associate Justices. Together, they form the Judicial Branch.
a). A minimum of two Justices (a Chief Justice and a Deputy Chief Justice) shall serve at any given time.
2. Whenever the office of Chief Justice is vacant, a Judicial Election shall be held to elect a new Chief Justice. Any citizen shall be eligible to run for Chief Justice in a electoral system established by law.
a). The prior Chief Justice may not run in this election.
3. Following a Judicial Election, the Chief Justice Elect shall undergo confirmation vote in the Council. If the vote fails, a new Judicial Election shall be held.
a). The Chief Justice Elect may not run for reelection in this new Election if they lose the confirmation vote.
4. Following their confirmation, the Chief Justice shall be required to appointed a Deputy Chief Justice from serving Associate Justices, the Deputy Chief Justice shall act as Chief Justice when the Chief Justice is unable to and as interim Chief Justice during a Judicial Election.
a). The Chief Justice may dismiss and appoint a new Deputy Chief Justice during their tenure.
b). If there are Associate Justices to appoint as Deputy Chief Justices, the Chief Justice shall first appoint an Associate Justice in according with Section 5.

5. The Chief Justice may appoint up to three Associate Justices. All Associate Justices must be confirmed by the Council in a confirmation vote before assuming office.
a). Deputy Chief Justices are not considered Associate Justices for the purposes of this Section.
b). The Council may pass Motions requiring the Chief Justice to appoint a new Associate Justice.

6. The Council may hold confirmation votes on all serving Justices, including the Chief Justice whenever they please. Upon failing a confirmation vote a Justice shall resign from office.
a). Citizens may petititon the Council to hold a confirmation vote by gathering four signatures and presenting them to the Speaker.

7. Whenever a Justice has a personal or political conflict of interest with a particular court case they shall be required to recuse themselves. The Chief Justice may force any other Justice to recuse themselves, and the Deputy Chief Justice may force the Chief Justice to do the same.

8. The Supreme Court holds legal jurisdiction on all matters, including criminal and civil law, as well as the interpretation of all legally enforceable documents.

9. The Supreme Court shall, following a court case, have the power to rule a prior action of government, executive order, or law as unconstitutional and annul it.

10. If asked by citizens, the Supreme Court may clarify provisions in a law or in the constitution. These clarifications shall have no legal effect in themselves but may be used as justification in legal arguments and in legal decisions.

11. During a court case, Presiding Justices may issue Warrants which shall allow for the collection of private information.

Hi, yes, this is a good bill. It'll make it easier for the region to have effective oversight over our judicial branch which can be prone to bouts of inactivity.

...Even if the formatting broke on its way from the Speaker's Office to the Council Chambers, it should look like this

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To amend the Constitution in order to alter the Selection of Supreme Court Justices
Introduced into the Council of State of the Union of Democratic States on the DAY of July, 2023, by Kron
As follows:

UNDERSTANDING that the former Senate has neglected its duty to confirm Justices,
CONTENDING that that Council of State should not do so,
BELIEVES a more flexible system will discourage such failures
BE IT ENACTED by the Council of Estate:

Section 1: Definitions and Short Title
1. This Act may be referenced as the "Motion to Amend the Constitution"

Section 2: Article 4 of the Constitution shall be amended to read as follows:

The judicial power of the government shall be vested in the Supreme Court, which shall be composed of an elected Chief Justice, who leads the Supreme Court, a Deputy Chief Justice, and up to three Associate Justices. Together, they form the Judicial Branch.
a). A minimum of two Justices (a Chief Justice and a Deputy Chief Justice) shall serve at any given time.​
2. Whenever the office of Chief Justice is vacant, a Judicial Election shall be held to elect a new Chief Justice. Any citizen shall be eligible to run for Chief Justice in a electoral system established by law.
a). The prior Chief Justice may not run in this election.​
3. Following a Judicial Election, the Chief Justice Elect shall undergo confirmation vote in the Council. If the vote fails, a new Judicial Election shall be held.
a). The Chief Justice Elect may not run for reelection in this new Election if they lose the confirmation vote.​
4. Following their confirmation, the Chief Justice shall be required to appointed a Deputy Chief Justice from serving Associate Justices, the Deputy Chief Justice shall act as Chief Justice when the Chief Justice is unable to and as interim Chief Justice during a Judicial Election.
a). The Chief Justice may dismiss and appoint a new Deputy Chief Justice during their tenure.​
b). If there are Associate Justices to appoint as Deputy Chief Justices, the Chief Justice shall first appoint an Associate Justice in according with Section 5.​

5. The Chief Justice may appoint up to three Associate Justices. All Associate Justices must be confirmed by the Council in a confirmation vote before assuming office.
a). Deputy Chief Justices are not considered Associate Justices for the purposes of this Section.​
b). The Council may pass Motions requiring the Chief Justice to appoint a new Associate Justice.​

6. The Council may hold confirmation votes on all serving Justices, including the Chief Justice whenever they please. Upon failing a confirmation vote a Justice shall resign from office.
a). Citizens may petititon the Council to hold a confirmation vote by gathering four signatures and presenting them to the Speaker.​

7. Whenever a Justice has a personal or political conflict of interest with a particular court case they shall be required to recuse themselves. The Chief Justice may force any other Justice to recuse themselves, and the Deputy Chief Justice may force the Chief Justice to do the same.

8. The Supreme Court holds legal jurisdiction on all matters, including criminal and civil law, as well as the interpretation of all legally enforceable documents.

9. The Supreme Court shall, following a court case, have the power to rule a prior action of government, executive order, or law as unconstitutional and annul it.

10. If asked by citizens, the Supreme Court may clarify provisions in a law or in the constitution. These clarifications shall have no legal effect in themselves but may be used as justification in legal arguments and in legal decisions.

11. During a court case, Presiding Justices may issue Warrants which shall allow for the collection of private information.

b). If there are no Associate Justices to appoint as Deputy Chief Justices, the Chief Justice shall first appoint an Associate Justice in according with Section 5.

I think the 'no" is missing and stylistically i don't like those references as they are unnecessary

b). If there are no Associate Justices to appoint as Deputy Chief Justices, the Chief Justice shall first appoint an Associate Justice in according with Section 5.

I think the 'no" is missing and stylistically i don't like those references as they are unnecessary
Good amendment, I accept it

I very much like this amendment. Minimum of two Justices, maximum of five, and all Justices being able to be held accountable to someone for recusal is good! The only sticky point I could foresee is if a Deputy Chief Justice tries to hold a Chief Justice accountable, and the Chief Justice uses their power to dismiss them from being Deputy and appoint another Associate Justice who wouldn't do as such. It's a very unlikely occurrence, and I don't believe our Justices would do that, but I think we should craft some wording to close that loophole.

Would the author of the bill mind telling us what was changed from the current wording of the Constitution?

Would the author of the bill mind telling us what was changed from the current wording of the Constitution?
Sections 1-6 are essentially rewrites from the existing constitution, Section 7 has minor grammatical editing (capitalisation of Justice), and the rest of the Sections are unamended. It is simply easier to frame, write and pass this as an amendment to the entire article instead of having a smaller series of amendments for individual clauses.

I very much like this amendment. Minimum of two Justices, maximum of five, and all Justices being able to be held accountable to someone for recusal is good! The only sticky point I could foresee is if a Deputy Chief Justice tries to hold a Chief Justice accountable, and the Chief Justice uses their power to dismiss them from being Deputy and appoint another Associate Justice who wouldn't do as such. It's a very unlikely occurrence, and I don't believe our Justices would do that, but I think we should craft some wording to close that loophole.
I believe the recourse in such a situation is to hold a Vote of No Confidence on the Chief Justice. It'd be an extensive process to essentially fire and get a new Chief Justice, but there is a mechanism for it provided.

This proposal has my support and I look forward to its passage.

I believe the recourse in such a situation is to hold a Vote of No Confidence on the Chief Justice. It'd be an extensive process to essentially fire and get a new Chief Justice, but there is a mechanism for it provided.
That makes infinitely more sense than the convoluted ideas that were percolating in my head, thank you for clarifying that.
Seeing as there is already vocal support for the amendment, and there are no other pending proposals for this article of the constitution or pending amendments, I move that the Council of State close discussion and bring the proposal to vote.

I second the motion made by the Honourable Councilor.

The Motion has been Seconded, Debate will close and Voting will commence shortly

Voting On the Motion will now Commence

On Voting on Motion to Amend the Constitution (Judicial Section)

Those who Agree may say Aye
Those who do not may say No
Those who wish to still vote but not vote Aye or No may Abstain

(Please vote VIA The Poll)

Voting will end in 2 days

Sorry for the wait there is a lot of papers in Jax´office

The Tellers have Concluded;
That in Respect of the votes on The Motion to Amend the Constitution
The Ayes have 6
The Noes have 0

So The Ayes have it! The Ayes Have it!
The Bill will be passed by the Council