Kanglia's Corner: An Introduction to Defending, Lesson One

Kanglia

Citizen
Oct 26, 2020
Awards
As promised, the essay lecture series on defending is here:
While I wrote this with footnotes due to my background in Chicago style, I am unfortunately unable to transpose those footnotes here. So instead I will simply leave my works cited below each chapter

Chapter 1: Introduction.
Hello everyone, this will be the first lesson on the defending as a whole, the UDSAF and its history, and our role in the defending space. To begin with, let’s break down exactly​
what defending in the terms of the Nationstates game actually is. As defined by King Nephmir II in his Introduction to Raiding and Defending, “Defending is when a group of nations move to a region to seize the WA Delegacy and defend it from raids, support a native member of the region's Delegacy, or to restore a region's history after a tag raid.” In other words, defending is either trying to prevent hostile takeovers in the form of occupations or “tags”(maliciously changing a regional description to advertise your own region) or to restore a tagged region to its previous state before the hostile action was taken. These restorations come in two different types, each a little different, but with the same end goal in mind: restoration.

Firstly, we have what I call retaliatory defending. Here, we have two types. First, there are what are known as detags. Detags are quite simply the “brief capture of multiple​
raider tagged regions during an update” in which “regions are reverted back to their normal state.” Normally, detags are done in bunches and are the primary method of training or other activity generated when there is nothing going on in an update(more on that key term momentarily.) The second form of retaliatory defending is what is known as a Liberation. A liberation is defined as “the act of seizing a region occupied by raider forces en masse, removing the raiders occupying the region, and restoring it back under native control.” Liberations are typically large scale operations, with many members of many different regional organizations participating, and sometimes these operations take multiple updates. The use of this word again leads to the logical question, what is an update in terms of Nationstates? Put most simply, Nationstates has two different updating periods a day, minor and major. Minor occurs at 12PM Eastern time, while major occurs at 12AM Eastern. While the two updates vary in time due to what is calculated, one thing that is calculated at both updates is the World Assembly Delegate of a region. It is at these updates where most raiding and defending takes place.

While we have covered retaliatory defending, we have not covered the actions of preventative defending. Preventative defending, referred to most commonly as Chasing. As{/indent} defined by Haku of The Grey Wardens, chasing is when “[T]he defenders do not know where the raiders will raid, but see them staging (this looks like raiders endorsing one or several nations in a known raider staging point). At this point, the defenders will prepare to move into the same region that the raiders move into as fast as possible.” Chasing is a during update experience in which defenders are actively attempting to intercept raiders in as many regions as possible in order to prevent occupations or tags from occurring. In our next lesson, we will go over the mechanics of updates, switchers, and what is known as Spotting.​
Works Cited​
Nephmir, King. “Introduction to Raiding and Defending,” n.d. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=307728#p21269304
Haku. Lesson 3: Operation Types Grey Wardens Training Hall.​

Reactions: Zukchiva