Passed Honorary Citizenship Act

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EUKBICR

The Devil
Citizen
Oct 25, 2020
Awards
Motion to Enact

The Honorary Citizenship Act
Sponsored by Die Kronprinzessin, Co-Sponsored by Guess and Check

RECOGNIZING the past achievements of former and current citizens;

UNDERSTANDING that these achievements should not be forgotten;

BELIEVING that this is best done through the implementation of honorary citizenship;

HEREBY enacts the following as law:

1. Individuals who have served the Union in an exceptional manner may be granted Honorary Citizenship.

2. Individuals may be granted Honorary Citizenship after a Motion in the Legislature is passed to this effect and is assented to by the President.

3. Holders of Honorary Citizenship may, without needing to hold citizenship, participate in the region as a citizen or resident would be able to; except in cases of governance. These exceptions include, but are not limited to, voting in elections and acting as government agents or officials.

4. The President, or a delegate of the President, shall be required to maintain a Hall of Fame for all current Honorary Citizens.

As I said in the GA:
"Kron is the one who wrote the bill XD, I just asked to be allowed as a co-sponsor. I like the concept and I feel that in the ways of NS awards, honorary citizenship is by far the most practical and definitely something we should have in our laws."

I also do want to add that many believe the bill needs work. Personally, while I can see that, I think that it can just be amended after it is passed. But I'll leave it up to the Senate whether they think it needs more "work" or not. I think the concept is pretty great, nonetheless.

I yield my time.

Well with the potential modified GA coming soon, I think that if that is passed, then we could amend it to be an honorary member of the General Assembly as well.

I assume that is fair enough, though this citizenship gives a person the ability to vote and hold office already.

I don’t see the need for this bill because we have already established Hall of Fame during Union Day. We can always add to that list through a vote. Secondly, the bill begins by stating “former and current citizens“ and carries on making no distinction between the two, the latter already have full citizenship and hence ineligible for an honorary one. Thirdly, I don’t believe the Legislature should be involved in granting Honorary Citizenship (or any award for that matter). It should be in the gift of the President.p or their delegates.

Yes, but it isn't just a hall of fame and it is different than the Union Day awards. I see no problem with the bill as it seems to have a noble goal of rewarding those who contribute to the region and (correct me if I'm wrong) it said nothing stating that a current holder of citizenship cannot hold honorary citizenship.

Reactions: Kron
Yes, but it isn't just a hall of fame and it is different than the Union Day awards. I see no problem with the bill as it seems to have a noble goal of rewarding those who contribute to the region and (correct me if I'm wrong) it said nothing stating that a current holder of citizenship cannot hold honorary citizenship.
If one is a citizen, there is logic in law for awarding the citizen with an honorary citizenship. It is not different from Union Day awards as they were es with the same intent. It makes no sense to duplicate an existing award.

It is different. The concept is extremely simple to understand the difference. Union Day was as an award to members, meanwhile this would be apart of one's reputation, a title, but also a sign of respect that goes beyond an award.

Any person in the Union, who was or presently is a Citizen should be capable of receiving this title within the Union.

Reactions: Kron
I move to close the debate period and move to amendments.

Status
Not open for further replies.