Passed General Assembly Reform Act

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EUKBICR

The Devil
Citizen
Oct 25, 2020
Awards
The Constitution (Amendment: General Assembly) Act 2020​

An Act to reform the General Assembly.​

Introduced in the Senate of the Union of Democratic States by British Isles and Commonwealth Realms.​

Be it enacted by the Senate and the General Assembly, with the assent of the President to the same, the following:​

Section I - Short Title, Definitions, and Commencement​

1. This Act may be cited as the General Assembly Reform Act 2020.
  2. This Act shall come into force upon the expiration of the term of the General Assembly.

Section II - Provisions​

1. Clause 1 of Section 4 of Article 4 of the Constitution of the Union of Democratic States shall be amended to read, “All Citizens, excepting those elected to the Senate, shall be eligible to apply for membership of the General Assembly. As a member of the General Assembly, the President may draft, sponsor, introduce, and debate motions but may not vote on motions.”
  2. A Clause shall be added after Clause 1 to read, “Citizens who wish to become members of the General Assembly shall inform the Chairperson of the General Assembly of the same. Citizens shall lose their seat in the General Assembly should they not participate in the General Assembly for a period of three months.”

Since my bill for outright abolition failed in favour of reforming the General Assembly, I introduce this bill for consideration. With this bill, the citizens will have the option to opt in for a seat in the General Assembly. ThIs will creat a set number of GA members and increase activity.

I put this in one of my campaigns but since I believed it lacked support I removed it from my agenda. It seems that this idea has resurfaced and I support the bill as I see no problems with the said bill as it covers the small amount that must be changed.

I have had this idea in my campaigns twice now, however I would like something to be added along the lines that everyone currently in the General Assembly need not apply to continue, however if they remain inactive for one month after the bill comes into effect, then they are dropped. This could be in the commencement section.

I have had this idea in my campaigns twice now, however I would like something to be added along the lines that everyone currently in the General Assembly need not apply to continue, however if they remain inactive for one month after the bill comes into effect, then they are dropped. This could be in the commencement section.
Since the Bill, if passed, will come into force after the term of the GA ends, I don’t think it will be a problem if, at the beginning of a new term, citizens opt in.

I move to close debate period and move to amendment period.

I think the ayes have it, the ayes have it. The debate period ends. The amendment period begins for 48 hours.

The amendment period ends. Voting will begin now. All those in favour may say Aye, all against may say No.

I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. The bill is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.