Failed General Assembly Reform Act 2020

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has failed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Chief Admin
Oct 16, 2020
Awards
The Constitution (Amendment: General Assembly) Act 2020

An Act to reform the General Assembly.​

Introduced in the Senate of the Union of Democratic States by Phoenix Coalition, and British Isles and Commonwealth Realms.​

Be it enacted by the Senate and the General Assembly, with the assent of the President to the same, the following:​

Section I - Short Title, Definitions, and Commencement​

1. This Act may be cited as the General Assembly Reform Act 2020.
  2. This Act shall come into force upon the expiration of the term of the General Assembly.
  3. For the purpose of this Act, a “legislative period” shall follow the election schedule of the upper house of the Union.

Section II - Provisions​

1. Clause 1 of Section 4 of Article 4 of the Constitution of the Union of Democratic States shall be amended to read, “All Citizens, excepting those elected to the Senate, shall be eligible to apply for membership of the General Assembly. As a member of the General Assembly, the President may draft, sponsor, introduce, and debate motions but may not vote on motions.”
  2. A Clause shall be added after Clause 1 to read, “Citizens who wish to become members of the General Assembly shall inform the Chairperson of the General Assembly of the same. Citizens shall lose their seat in the General Assembly should they not participate in the General Assembly for a legislative period. A citizen may not participate again until the expiration of the legislative period of which their membership was terminated”
  3. A clause shall be inserted below Clause 2, and all clauses underneath shall be renumbered accordingly. This clause shall state; “The Deputy Chairperson shall keep an accurate and up to date roster of Assembly members who are serving, and suspended and the date of which the suspension ends.”

I will now introduce this to the Senate. I am reintroducing this on the behalf of Isles who I have kept as a co-sponsor out of respect for his work in reaching a compromise of either ridding us of the Assembly or reforming it. I have changed some of the clauses and added a bit to the bill of which I believe will not only help it, but hopefully include some of the things that the Assembly folks pointed out whilst they were discussing it.

I thank Phoenix for introducing this bill. I will only say this. The General Assembly must be reformed to increase its activity. By creating a defined number of voting members, the GA will benefit by setting its majority numbers needed to pass bills. I understand that the Senate has earlier passed this bill but we need to do it again. This bill with added clauses should be more acceptable to the GA.

Status
Not open for further replies.