Passed Elections (Amendment) Act, 2021

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nay, I’m a little confused on why we’re closing debate when only one of the senators indicated which way they felt on the proposed solutions

I think the Noes have it, the Noes have it. The motion is rejected. Debate continues for 24 hours.

Reactions: moe
At the direction of the Speaker and based on the consensus of the Senate, I propose the following amendment to honor choice 2. I have added bullets 3.1 and 3.2 (Speaker - feel free to renumber as needed), and updated 3 to reflect the wish for a six day period.

1. Any references to the Office of the Chancellor shall be changed to read Office of the Electoral Commission or appropriate form
2. Section 1, Clause 5 shall read "Run-off elections shall occur no later than 48 hours after the first multi-seat election and shall follow other electoral rules prescribed by the Electoral Commissioners."
3. Section 3, Clause 1 shall read "Elections shall last for a total period of 6 days, on the final 2 days of the election citizens may cast a single ballot aligned to the system in Section 1 and 2."
3.1 Section 3, Clause 2 shall read "For the first 4 days of an election the Electoral Commission shall release a candidacy form which shall close on the 4nd day. All candidates for the election must fill this form. At the end of the fourth day, the Electoral Commission shall release a final list of running candidates to the public.
a. All valid candidates shall appear on the ballot.
b. If the EC reject a prospective candidate a reason shall be given publicly."
3.2 Section 3, Clause 3 shall read "Candidates for the election may campaign through all periods, including the candidacy and voting phases. Campaigns shall be done in appropriate spaces and in appropriate amounts as regulated by the Electoral Commission."
4. Section 4, Clause 1 shall read "In the event of a vacancy in the Senate, a by-election shall be held lasting 6 days. For the first 2 days of a by-election the Office of the Electoral Commission shall release a candidacy form which shall close on the 4th day, and the ballot shall open within 24 hours after candidacy has closed."

Reactions: Apatosarurus
At the direction of the Speaker and based on the consensus of the Senate, I propose the following amendment to honor choice 2. I have added bullets 3.1 and 3.2 (Speaker - feel free to renumber as needed), and updated 3 to reflect the wish for a six day period.

1. Any references to the Office of the Chancellor shall be changed to read Office of the Electoral Commission or appropriate form
2. Section 1, Clause 5 shall read "Run-off elections shall occur no later than 48 hours after the first multi-seat election and shall follow other electoral rules prescribed by the Electoral Commissioners."
3. Section 3, Clause 1 shall read "Elections shall last for a total period of 6 days, on the final 2 days of the election citizens may cast a single ballot aligned to the system in Section 1 and 2."
3.1 Section 3, Clause 2 shall read "For the first 4 days of an election the Electoral Commission shall release a candidacy form which shall close on the 4nd day. All candidates for the election must fill this form. At the end of the fourth day, the Electoral Commission shall release a final list of running candidates to the public.
a. All valid candidates shall appear on the ballot.
b. If the EC reject a prospective candidate a reason shall be given publicly."
3.2 Section 3, Clause 3 shall read "Candidates for the election may campaign through all periods, including the candidacy and voting phases. Campaigns shall be done in appropriate spaces and in appropriate amounts as regulated by the Electoral Commission."
4. Section 4, Clause 1 shall read "In the event of a vacancy in the Senate, a by-election shall be held lasting 6 days. For the first 2 days of a by-election the Office of the Electoral Commission shall release a candidacy form which shall close on the 4th day, and the ballot shall open within 24 hours after candidacy has closed."

On behalf of Kade, (a non-senator) I propose the amendment.

A motion to close debate has been moved. Those in favour may say Aye, those against may say No.

I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. The motion is approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.