Passed AWD 1 (Motion To Give Award/Honorary Citizenship)

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.

VOTING ON THE CURRENT MOTION

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxsonWinter

The Greater Empire of Astrodom
Executive Cabinet
Oct 3, 2022
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To award the player Vendiagram
Introduced into the Council of State of the Union of Democratic States on the 6th of June, 2023, by @Alfkarl.
As follows:​

BELIEVING that her work as one of the main officers in the armed forces and being the census minster (one of the most important role as it includes recruiting) should not go unoticed.
BE IT ENACTED by Council of State:

Section 1: Marking of this bill
1. This act and all other acts that give hounory citizenship or other award shall be referred to as AWD [X] where X is the number of these acts before it plus one.

Section 2: Action
1. Vendiagram shall receive honorary citizenship right away and shall be noticed for their actions.

This bill aims to recognise the actions of vendiagram who has been a brilliant member of our community.

Thank you Alfkarl
I open debate finally (sorry for the wait)

I support it, although I am a bit upset I did not make the bill. :p

Kidding, good stuff.

At present, I'm not sure I support this.

I wish to preface this by saying that what Alex has done so far in the Union is excellent work. She's been accepting citizenship applications for half a year, literally the only person on our new forums to have done so. Wouldn't mind naming something after her or giving her a status for her excellent work in that regard. She's also done splendid work in the past month or two, having pushed UDSAF into a period of activity we haven't seen in ages. Not to mention that she's gotten some people beyond admins to do manual recruitment - a feat inonitself. Anyone who says Alex's accomplishments in the eight months or so aren't impressive are either lying or blind.

That being said, her accomplishments are highly impressive and her service inspiring, but they haven't yet had the long-term impact that tends to characterize our honorary citizens. For example, the sole honorary citizen candidate to not receive unanimous support - Sacento - still had three years of political and roleplay service to the Union prior to being nominated, and arguably was probably one of the Union's most prominent post-2020 politicians. And I do understand that timeframe isn't everything - one person could very well accomplish in a year what it takes others to do in three or more. But looking at the general trend of our Honorary Citizens, I do think longevity of service plays a role (for those who couldn't be considered Union founders, anyways) because people who serve longer tend to make a much larger impact and impression that lasts beyond them. Alex is on her way to cultivating that, but I do not think she's made such an impact right now.

And as I mentioned before, there are other ways we can honor her excellent work - naming something after her, giving her a status, etc. She is deserving of honor, but I don't think she's ready for this one just yet. But I'm open to being convinced, I think.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you she has made a big impact to me she explained stuff to me and feel like i am not the only person. She has done a lot and I feel we should reward those who change the whole situation for new players just because they aren't as active doesn't mean their less important. Think of all the extra manual recruitment staff she's added and how many joined us?

I am afraid I have to disagree with you she has made a big impact to me she explained stuff to me and feel like i am not the only person. She has done a lot and I feel we should reward those who change the whole situation for new players just because they aren't as active doesn't mean their less important. Think of all the extra manual recruitment staff she's added and how many joined us?
I mentioned her being able to bring in manual staff. I wasn't aware of her being impactful to newcomers, but if she was then that's just her being more awesome.

But none of that really changes my point. I already said this but to be more clear: I agree that she should be awarded for her works. I just don't think this specific award, which is the highest award the Union can possibly bestow upon someone, is right for her because she hasn't met a similar level of impact yet.

If someone did do such sweeping changes that during a year of service they completely transformed the Union and made us into a mini-TCB in terms of size or activity then absolutely, I'd say award them. But Alex's contributions aren't to that level - and I wouldn't expect them to be. By nature, one can only have such a formative impact if you became prominent in the region's first year or two. Otherwise, it does take a long time to generate such a lasting impact on a community, and I guess I simply disagree with you that her impacts meet the bar we've seemingly set for Honorary Citizenship.

Maybe the bar itself should be up for discussion, but IMO I think it's at a good place.

IMHO Zuk is right, love Alex and would love to see her nominated for an award that is more suitable for the occasion

Having some time to think about it and the initial excitement of someone else thinking someone deserves this, I do think I have to agree with Zuk. This is our highest honor we can bestow on someone in our region and that bar needs commitment along with things the person in question has done.

Alex is fairly new around here, hell, she's even still pretty new to NationStates but is and still is a major sponge of wanting to learn about the game. She is a great leader as well, but the time commitment here needs just be that little longer to cement something like this.

She does deserve this, in my eyes, my initial show of support I think obviously proves that. However, being great and amazing for just a short time doesn't prove the long-lasting effects of her work. She's definitely capable of this and I want to thank you, @Alfkarl for realizing and seeing this protentional. I also want thank you for sharing she has made an impact in your time here, without you and others who have joined us recently, this would be a very lonely forum, heh.

The Motion to Vote was seconded, The Debating Period has now finished

Voting On the Motion will now Commence
Since no Amendments were raised to the Motion we move straight into Voting on the Main Motion

On Voting on AWD 1 (Motion to Give Award/Honorary Citizenship)

Those who Agree may say Aye
Those who do not may say No
Those who wish to still vote but not vote Aye or No Nay Abstain

(Please vote VIA The Poll)

Voting was closed Automatically by the Poll at 12:12 MST (-7)

so The Tellers have Conclued;
That in Respect of the votes on AWD 1 (Motion to Give Award/Honorary Citizenship)

The Ayes have 2
The Noes have 1

So The Ayes have it! The Ayes Have it!
The Bill will be passed by the CoS

Status
Not open for further replies.