Passed Amendment to UL-004 The Criminal Code, 2022

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kron

Junior Administrator
Oct 7, 2020
Awards

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To amend the bill "Criminal Code Act (UL-004)"
Introduced into the Senate of the Union of Democratic States on the 11th of May, 2022, by Guess and Check and Glaciosia
As follows:

NOTING that efforts are underway to re-write the Citizenship Act (UL-006);
BELIEVING the following amendment as necessary to complement the rewrite;
BE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the Senate:

Section I: Provisions

1. A subclause shall be inserted before Section 2, Clause 1, Subclause 4 of the Criminal Code Act reading “The Revocation of Citizenship, and the permanent or temporary proscription from applying for or receiving Citizenship,”

I welcome this bill to the floor and ask for its sponsors to give Opening Statements

At present, the stipulations of the unamended Citienship Act effectively automatically strip citizenship from anyone "found guilty of crimes which the Union considers as High Crimes per the Criminal Code Act." While I believe it would often be a suitable punishment for crimes such as Treason, this provision undermines the power of the Judiciary to choose the punishment appropriate for the circumstances, and works against the principles of the criminal code act. Thus, the related legislation will hopefully remove this provision.

In light of this, I believe it is suitable to retain this punishment as part of the arsenal for our judiciary, and fully implement it into the paradigm of the Criminal Code Act itself. This act grants more flexibility to the judicial branch, and maintains the power to punish people in this manner.

Thank you for your opening statements, debate is now open

I am all for Judicial independence, and see no reason to oppose this

I, much like you, definitely didn't forget about this...

ahem, voting is open: please go Aye. Nay, or Abstain

With 3 votes in favour and none against, this passes

Status
Not open for further replies.