Passed Amendment to the Constitution

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well let's run down some of Kron's contentions shall we
1). Vice Presidents can no longer be recalled
2). Treaties can be amended in the Senate
3). The President is no longer Commander-in-Chief, which is important in ways losing the other titles isn't. CoC is about regional security and quick response. Instead, 'defence' is broadly split amongst the Executive as a whole, a mistake in my view
Alright so let's just run down this part of it in order. 1 & 2 are fair enough contentions, although I'd argue that you could always recall either or despite the verbiage stating "and." Making that clause an and/or is fairly easy though and a pretty simple enough fix.
The amendation of treaties through the Senate seems like a fairly obvious fix too, although again I'd argue that explicitly stating that is not as necessary as Kron might have expressed if only for the sheer illogical nature of the concept. Regardless, might as well clearly express that all treaties are ratifiable only and not capable of being amended through the Senate(although to be entirely honest I'd argue that treaties as a whole should go straight to a referendum and completely bypass the Senate)
President no longer being explicitly commander-in-chief and instead being split is kind of meh in my honest opinion. Regional security, I'd argue, is already split in an OOC context, and splitting it in an IC context is sensible. However, if I am reading Glac correctly in his argument, the President still holds the role of Commander-in-Chief
That the President individually be vested with the authority as Head of State, Head of Government and Commander in Chief

Anywho, I've laid out a response to the points that I felt were genuinely capable of being contentious towards anyone other than Glac, but most of what I read in the #senate-chamber felt like more of a personal disagreement between Kron and Glaciosia and I will therefore cede the floor to him with any more of his arguments he may have the desire to present.
Considering this will be sent to a citizen referendum, I am relatively neutral about its potential(and likely eventual) passage here. I do urge all the citizens to do their own reading and interpretations in a manner as Kron did and to come to their own conclusions, as either this Amended article or the current composition will suit our region fine in my personal opinion.

4. During the term of the President, citizens may petition to recall the President and Vice President, provided that their petition has at least eight citizen signatures. After such a petition is presented to the Electoral Committee, a by-election for the office shall be held in which the incumbent officeholders shall automatically be on the ballot. Such petitions may only be submitted thirty days after the President assumes office.
Not sure that this is an issue, re: vice president being recalled? Seems like its fine.

I move to add this as a new clause:
12. The Ministry of Justice shall exist as a Ministry within the Executive, conforming to the same rules. The Attorney General shall lead the Ministry and advise the Executive on legal matters, represent the Executive government in legal proceedings, guide registered lawyers in the region; and register lawyers. The Ministry shall have the exclusive power to prosecute criminal offenses, under direction of the Attorney General alone.

I move to add the folowing subclause to 6:
The command of the armed forces.

I move to amend 1.6.c to read
c) Signing interregional agreements and introducing them into the Senate.

I move to strike 2.2

I move to replace 1.1 with 1. The President is the Head of State, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Head of Government, and Leader of the Executive Branch, which executes the law and leads the region on behalf of the people.

I am sorry please continue the debate then (T_T I just did what my legie said)

I feel very much so indifferent about the proposed amendments that Glac has made, and have no further comments. As such, we should likely go ahead and close the debate on this and send it to the citizenship for a referendum.
So I will move to close the debate.

The following amendments have been propose:
  1. A new clause be added “12. The Ministry of Justice shall exist as a Ministry within the Executive, conforming to the same rules. The Attorney General shall lead the Ministry and advise the Executive on legal matters, represent the Executive government in legal proceedings, guide registered lawyers in the region; and register lawyers. The Ministry shall have the exclusive power to prosecute criminal offenses, under direction of the Attorney General alone.”
  2. A new sub-clause be added to clause 6 “command of the armed forces.”
  3. Section 1 clause 6 sub-clause c be amended to read “Signing interregional agreements and introducing them into the Senate.”
  4. Section 2 clause 2 be remove.
  5. Section 1 clause 1 be amended to read “The President is the Head of State, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Head of Government, and Leader of the Executive Branch, which executes the law and leads the region on behalf of the people.”
Those in favour may say Aye, those against may say No.

Last edited:
aye i suppose. I encourage the citizenry to also have an extensive debate before their voting process as well

Amendments 1-5
Ayes to the right-4
Noes to the left-0
i think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendments are approved.

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION
To Amend The Constitution, Introduced into the Senate of the Union of Democratic States on the 26th of August, by @Glaciosia
As follows:

WHEREAS the Constitution is a living document, which should be updated as the desires and de facto structure of the Union Changes;
UNDERSTANDING the usefulness of a flexible Executive;
BELIEVING in the importance of a strong philosophical basis for Constitutional powers;

Section 1: Amendment of Article 1
1. The Constitution of the Union of Democratic States, Article III shall be struck out and replaced as follows:
“1. The President is the Head of State, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Head of Government, and Leader of the Executive Branch, which executes the law and leads the region on behalf of the people.​
2. The President shall be elected every three months. Presidential Elections shall occur on the first day of January, April, July, and October. Elections shall be carried out in accordance with regional law.​
3. The President shall be elected alongside their Vice President, who shall act as a deputy and aide to the President. The Vice President shall act in their place when the President is unable to act, and as acting President in the event that the office of President becomes vacant.​
a). Should the office of the Vice President become vacant, the President shall nominate a replacement to the Senate for a confirmation vote.​
b). Laws may be passed that create a line of succession past the Vice President.​
4. During the term of the President, citizens may petition to recall the President and Vice President, provided that their petition has at least eight citizen signatures. After such a petition is presented to the Electoral Committee, a by-election for the office shall be held in which the incumbent officeholders shall automatically be on the ballot. Such petitions may only be submitted thirty days after the President assumes office.​
5. Following the passage of a law in the Senate, the President has five days to either promulgate the law and make it legally binding or veto it. Before promulgation or a veto, the President may consult the Attorney General for legal advice regarding the law and its impacts.​
a). Unless it is vetoed, a law automatically becomes promulgated after five days.​
b). The Senate may overturn a veto with a three-fourth supermajority.​
6.) The President shall have the following powers, subject to regulation by law:​
a).The issuance of Executive Orders, directions for the implementation of laws and regulations for the business of executive governance.​
b). The issuance of Persona Non Grata Declarations, which shall censure non-citizens and prohibit their entry into the region.​
c). Signing interregional agreements and introducing them into the Senate.​
d). Command of the armed forces.​
7. The Executive shall be composed of the office of the President and Vice President, the Ministries and the Ministers who lead them.​
8. The Executive shall carry out the day-to-day executive governance of the region, including the regulation of foreign affairs, domestic affairs, cultural affairs, and some legal matters.​
9. Ministries may be established by law or by the President. Ministries will not automatically cease to exist following vacancy in the office of the President. Ministers may be appointed to and dismissed from Ministries by the President.​
10. The President shall govern the distribution and scope of powers between the different organs of the Executive, and the Ministers shall govern such distribution within their Ministries.​
a. The President shall have authority over the executive, and may override the actions of their subordinates within it.​
b). Ministers shall have subsidiary authority over their Ministries, and may override the actions of their subordinates within it.​
11. The Executive shall hold the following powers, subject to regulation by law:​
a). Accepting, denying and processing citizenship applications.​
b). The conduct of diplomacy and defense of the region.​
c). The administration of programs and initiatives for the benefit of the region.​
d). The prosecution of criminal law cases.​
e). The execution of the laws of the Union.​
f). These powers may be expanded upon via law, either in regard to the President or a specific Ministry.​
12. The Ministry of Justice shall exist as a Ministry within the Executive, conforming to the same rules. The Attorney General shall lead the Ministry and advise the Executive on legal matters, represent the Executive government in legal proceedings, guide registered lawyers in the region; and register lawyers. The Ministry shall have the exclusive power to prosecute criminal offenses, under direction of the Attorney General alone.​
13. The position of World Assembly Delegate within the Union’s NationStates region should be held by the holder of the office of World Assembly Delegate as established in this constitution.​
a.) Vacancies in this office shall be filled by a Citizen appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate.​
b.) The holder of this office shall be reconfirmed on the first day of Every March and September.”​

Section 2: Miscellaneous Amendments
1. Article 2, Clause 2, Sub-clause b shall be struck out.

The Bill as amended is now at vote. Theise in favour may say Aye, those against may say No.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.