Introduction Act to Make March 20th a Holiday

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that is currently in the introduction phase.

VOTING ON MOTION

• Nay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JaxsonWinter

The Greater Empire of Astrodom
Executive Cabinet
Oct 3, 2022
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To Enact the Act "Make March 20th a Holiday"
Introduced into the Council of State of the Union of Democratic States on the 20th of March, 2024, by @Ostro
As follows:​

WHEREAS the Union has a distinct lack of holidays, days for fun celebration that bring together all Unionists,
REALIZING THAT March 20th is a day notable for the birthdays of our Speaker, JaxsonWinter , and the Founder of the Union, Thatcher ,
CONVINCED that having holidays on significant days would benefit the Union
BE IT ENACTED By the Council of State

Section 1 (Provisions)
  1. On every March 20th, all offices of the Union will get a day off, and private enterprises will be strongly encouraged to do so as well.
  2. On every March 20th, the Union will host an event in order to spread festivities to all that wish them.

Reactions: Phoenix
I Call Upon The Honorable Member and Director @Ostro to make an Opening Statement to the Council

Opening Statement to the Council on "Make March 20th A Holiday"

Hello to my fellow Councillors and citizens. The Union has a government, sometimes thriving and sometimes not, but always remaining a government. We behave as is fitting for one, with procedures and elections, and thus serve the members of the Union. The Union is also a thriving community, and it behaves as one as well. However, one thing which we do not have that most do are holidays. A holiday is important for a community in order to bring together its members and let them rejoice at a day which is a shared treasure for all of them, thus bringing them closer together and making the bonds of this Union stronger.

A birthday is a day of great celebration - it marks the anniversary of a loved one, a friend, a valued persons life, where you acknowledge them and what they've done over their life. Two of our most important members are @JaxsonWinter and @Thatcher. For Thatcher - do I need to explain myself on this one? They founded the very bedrock of the Union, they have contributed so much I can hardly put it into words, from writing laws to welcoming in people - their contributions to the Union have warranted a commendation from the Security Council, a feat that very few can boast. As for Jaxson, they have been a loyal speaker and member for longer than I have been, introducing legislation and keeping the Council running as best as they can even through bad times. As it happens, both of these valued members have their birthday on March 20th.

I'm not saying this is the only holiday. Are there other dates which would serve just as well? Of course. But I think that bringing the Union together to celebrate the accomplishments of two of the most valued members this region has ever had is a good thing, which is why I wrote this act and why I hope you'll vote for it.

Apologies for the major delay, Debate has been and will be closed because its been too long

Voting on the Motion will now Commence, Vote VIA Poll Above

Those who Agree that this Bill should become Law may vote Aye
Those who Disagree may vote Nay
Those who wish to vote but neither for Aye or Nay may Abstain

Voting will be open for the Following 32 Hours

Voting Closed

The Motion to Make March 20th a Holiday has passed with;
5 Votes Aye
0 Votes Nay
With no Members Abstaining

The Bill Has passed the Council of State