Passed A Motion to Repeal and Replace the Senate Rules of Procedure

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

North Plegia

Citizen
Jan 16, 2021
Awards

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To repeal and replace the Senate Rules of Procedure
Introduced into the Senate of the Union of Democratic States on the 20th of March, 2022, by @Kron
As follows:

BELIEVING we should have a law format,
CONTENDING that preambles are good,
BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly:

Section 1: Definitions and Short Title
1. This Resolution may be referenced as the "Resolution to repeal and replace the Senate’s Rules and Procedures"

2. A Majority is defined as more than half of the total votes cast. An item receiving equal numbers of Aye and Nay votes shall fail.

3. A sponsor is defined as either the primary sponsor or co-sponsor as recorded in an item presented to the Speaker.

Section 2: Speaker of the Senate
1. Following a Senate election or whenever a vacancy arises, the Senate shall select from amongst their numbers a Speaker of the Senate. The Speaker shall oversee debate, moderate the Senate, maintain its archives and present applicable items to the President upon their passage.
a. The longest continually serving Senator shall moderate the Speaker selection.
b. Any Senator may call for a vote of no confidence in the Speaker, which shall be presided over by their Deputy.

2. The Speaker shall be required to appoint a Deputy to act as interim Speaker in their absence, use some or all of the Speaker's powers upon request and be a general aid to the Speaker.
a. During the Speaker and their Deputy's joint absence the longest serving active Senator shall become interim Speaker.

3. The Speaker is subject to these Rules of Procedure and must set an example for the rest of the Senate.

Section 3: Discussion

1. Upon reception of an item from any citizen, the Speaker has 48 hours to present it to the floor of the Senate, after which the primary sponsor(s) have the privilege to make an opening statement.
a. When a vetoed item is overturned the President shall also be able to make an opening statement.
b. Confirmations shall be treated as a motion jointly sponsored by the President, Chief Justice or relevant official and the nominated individual.
c. Failed items may not be resubmitted in the same Senate term unless they have been materially altered.

2. Following opening statements (or after 12 hours) the Speaker shall open discussion, which shall be confined to the item at hand. During discussion Senators may propose amendments to the item, which the primary sponsor may either accept or contest.
a. Contested amendments shall be put to vote in accordance with Section 4, 3.
b. Accepted amendments shall be included in the item by the Speaker.
c. Treaties, confidence motions and confirmation motions may not be amended.

3. During discussion, any motion within reason may be made relating to the item at hand. All motions require a second to pass, but may be contested by another Senator.
a. Contested motions shall be put to vote in accordance with Section 4, 3.
b. Sponsors may make a motion to table their own item.

4. Motions may only be considered one at a time, and in the following hierarchy of importance:
a. Motions to overrule the Speaker; countermanding a specified action by the Speaker.
b. Motions to protest violation of procedure.
c. Motions to table an item; closing discussion without voting.
d. Motions to extend discussion; preventing the Speaker from closing discussion for a specified amount of time.
e. Motions to vote; closing discussion and moving onto voting.
f. All other motions.

Section 4: Voting

1. Voting shall either begin following a successful motion to vote or at the Speaker's discretion after 48 hours of no discussion.

2. Motions to vote shall be prohibited unless 24 hours have passed since discussion began.

3. Voting shall last for a minimum of 24 hours, or until all Senators have voted.
a. Senators shall be able to vote, 'Aye', 'Nay', or 'Abstain'.
b. Absent Senators shall have their votes marked as 'Abstain'.
c. Abstentions shall not be counted against the necessary majority to approve items.

4. Following a vote, the Speaker shall tally cast votes and confirm the item's passage or failure. Upon passage it shall either immediately go into effect or, when applicable, be sent to the President for promulgation or veto.

Section 5: Decorum

1. Either at the Speaker's discretion or following a successful motion to protest violation of procedure, a Senator in violation of law or a motion may be punished by the Speaker.
a. A successful motion to overrule the Speaker can either prevent a Senator from being punished at all or prevent a specific punishment from being enacted.
b. The Speaker may be punished by a motion to that effect, or punished by their Deputy. In either case the Deputy shall preside over the punishment.

2. Punishable behaviour includes:
a. Submission of inappropriate content to the Speaker.
b. Ad hominem attacks directed at another person.
c. The use of offensive or threatening language.
d. Frivolous motions to table.

3. Available punishments consist of:
a. Official censure of a Senator, to be entered into the permanent record of the proceedings of the Senate.
b. Temporary removal of the voting rights of an Senator for 24 hours.
c. Expulsion from the Senate, a three-fifths vote must be held in the Senate to confirm this punishment.

Section 6: Enactment

1. SR-008, SR-009 and SR-010 shall be repealed.

Howdy dear Senate! This is flat out an improvement over the current RoP in my opinion, since presenting this to the Speaker Glac has come up with a few improvements that I plan to introduce

Through my power as Deputy Speaker, I open Debate

Overall I think this is a good system, I've already touched on the slight errors & omissions of the draft and it seems to have all been fixed up. So I lend my support.

dont have much time but last i read it looked good to me

Mr Speaker, I propose this single amendment to Section 3, 3:
"During discussion, any motion within reason may be made relating to the item at hand. Upon receiving a second, the motion shall pass, but may be contested by another Senator within 24 hours of the motion's proposal."​

I ask the Speaker to close discussion and move to a vote

Debate is closed. The Senate now moves to vote on the following amendment:

Replace 3.3 as: "During discussion, any motion within reason may be made relating to the item at hand. Upon receiving a second, the motion shall pass, but may be contested by another Senator within 24 hours of the motion's proposal."

The Ayes to the right: 4
The Noes to the left: 0

I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The amendment passes.

The Senate now moves to formal vote. Those in favour of the bill say Aye, on the contrary no.

The Ayes to the right: 4
The Noes to the left: 0
I think the Ayes have it. The Ayes have it. The bill passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.