Passed A Motion to Amend the Rules and Procedures of the Senate (REPEALED)

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuevo San Miguel

Citizen
Oct 26, 2020
Awards
Rules and Procedures (Amendment: Lapse and Reintroduction) Motion 2020

Introduced by British Isles and Commonwealth Realms

A Motion to amend the Rules and Procedures to include and regulate lapse and reintroduction of bills in the Senate of the Union of Democratic States.

Be it enacted by the Senate and the General Assembly, that the following is law:​

Section I: Short Title and Definitions​

1. This act may be known as Rules and Procedures (Amendment: Lapse and Reintroduction) Act 2020.
  2. ‘Lapse’ refers to the life of an introduced bill coming to an end.
  3. ‘Reintroduction’ refers to a bill being brought again before a house which has already deliberated upon it.

Section II: Rule of Lapse​

1. All bills presented before the Senate, or presented to the Senate by the General Assembly, with or without amendments shall lapse upon the expiration of the term of the Senate.
  2. All bills presented to the General Assembly by the Senate shall not lapse upon the expiration of the term of the Senate.
  3. Section II-1 shall be applicable to all bills before the Senate at any stage in the bill’s procedure as described by Section 7 of the Rules and Procedures of the Senate.
  4. Motions of Confirmation shall not lapse upon the expiration of the term of the Senate.
    1. Proviso to Section II-5, Motions of Confirmation not in voting stage shall lapse. The President must renominate their candidate to the Speaker.

Section III: Reintroduction of Bills​

1. No bill upon which the Senate has deliberated before, and rejected the same, shall be brought before the Senate during its term.
  2. Only bills, which were rejected by the Senate, may be reintroduced in the Senate, if they were introduced and passed by the General Assembly, with or without amendments.
  3. Motions of Confirmation for the same candidate may be reintroduced before the Senate more than once during its term.

Section IV: Enactment, Promulgation and Limitations​

1. This Act, having been passed by the Senate and the General Assembly, and receiving the President’s signature, shall come into force upon the expiration of the incumbent Senate term.
  2. This Act shall amend the Rule and Procedures and include the rules under Section 9: Lapse and Reintroduction of Bills.
  3. Nothing in this Act shall apply or be construed to apply to the General Assembly.
I hereby yield the floor to Isles to introduce this motion, afterwards, I shall open the debate period.

I think this will settle once and for all the question of what to do with pending legislation when a new senate is sworn in to office. With this becoming part of the R&P, it will make the business of a new senate easier. I request you all to give it a thought

However it will need some corrections here and there.

The word ‘Act’ needs to be replaced with motion. Some other grammatical errors that are my fault as well.

In section 3, I move to add as point number 3
”No bill, which was introduced in and passed by the General Assembly, but subsequently rejected by the Senate, shall be brought before the Senate for the duration of the term in which the bill was rejected, with or without amendments.”

Last edited:
To clarify, it means that bills which were sent to us by the GA and we rejected them, they cannot send them again during our term.

The amendment voting period has ended with 3-1-0 votes in favor. The amendment to the motion passes. The vote for the motion as a whole will now begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.