Passed A Motion to amend the Rules and Procedures of the Senate of the Union of Democratic States.

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EUKBICR

The Devil
Citizen
Oct 25, 2020
Awards

Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION
To Amend the Senate Rules
Introduced into the Senate of the Union on 22nd of October, 2021 by Glaciosia, as follows:​

UNDERSTANDING the need for efficient passage of laws;
BELIEVING that a majority vote is unnecessary to end debate;
BE IT ENACTED BY THE SENATE:

1. Section 3, clause 3 of the Senate Rules of Procedure shall be amended to read:
“3. Following Opening Statements, a period of time shall be given for the debate of the bill, during which time amendments may be proposed and discussed.
a. Upon request of another Senator, the Speaker may close debate. This may be overruled as per 2.7, after which debate shall resume immediately.
b. If, during this period, the sponsor motions to withdraw the motion which remains unobjected to within the following 24 hours, the withdrawal succeeds.
c. If, during this period, the sponsor motions to withdraw the motion which is objected to within the following 24 hours, a vote is initiated to withdraw the motion, following the standard provisions for voting on a procedural motion.”

It's a pretty simple bill honestly. Instead of a whole complicated process, to close debate a senator need only request to do so, which the Speaker can approve. This approval can be overturned by the procedure already established for overturning a decision by the Speaker. The procedures for extending and closing a motion by a vote remain, because I imagine they could be used in some edge cases, but I am open to removing them.

A motion to close debate has been moved. Those in favour may say Aye, those against may say No.

Reactions: Apatosarurus
I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. The motion is approved. We now move to formal vote. Those is favour may say Aye, those against may say No.

Ayes to the right-5
Noes to the left-0
I think the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. The motion is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.