Passed Treaty of Libertia and Pie

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.

VOTING ON THE CURRENT MOTION

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxsonWinter

The Greater Empire of Astrodom
Executive Cabinet
Oct 3, 2022
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To enact the bill "Treaty of Libertia and Pie"
Introduced into the Council of State of the Union of Democratic States on the 14th of August, 2023, by @AC Alex | East Chimore
As follows:​

The Union of Democratic States

And

The Republic of Europeia

Treaty of Libertia and Pie

WHEREAS The Republic of Europeia (“Europeia”) and The Union of Democratic States (“The Union”) have endeavored to develop democratic political systems rooted in equality, liberty and justice;

WHEREAS Europeia and The Union have a long and storied shared history of friendship and cooperation;

WHEREAS Europeia and The Union wish to continue rebuilding the relationship we once held;

NOW, THEREFORE, Europeia and The Union agree to the following:

1. Sovereignty

(a) Europeia will recognize only the legitimate government of The Union, as determined by The Union law, as representative of the Region and People of the UDS.

(b) The Union will recognize only the legitimate government of Europeia, as determined by Europeian law, as representative of the Region and People of Europeia.

(c) Neither Signatory may cede sovereign control of their region to another entity.

2. Military Undertakings

(a) Neither The Union nor Europeia will engage in military hostilities against the other, or against one another's protectorates which have been established by regional law and communicated to the other signatory. Participation by The Union and Europeia on opposite sides of a military engagement that does not constitute an attack on either region or a region's protectorate shall not be considered "military hostilities against the other" for this purpose.

(b) To the extent practical, The Union and Europeia shall provide the other defensive military assistance in case of an attack by an aggressor. Under no circumstance will either Signatory give direct or indirect aid to the aggressor.

(c) The Union and Europeia shall not cede sovereign control over their respective military forces to any supraregional alliance. Sovereign control is interpreted as being able to make the ultimate decision with regards to the region's military resources participating in a military operation. Both regions may continue to enter into bilateral and multilateral agreements for common defense.

(d) The Union and Europeia shall aid each other in Delegacy transferrals when requested.

(e) The Union and Europeia will collaborate militarily for the combined benefit of both regions when practical.

3. World Assembly Matters

(a) Neither Signatory will write or vote for a Security Council Resolution naming the other Signatory, or an entity strongly associated with the other Signatory, without first consulting the other Signatory. For this purpose, an entity shall be considered strongly associated with a Signatory if it is reasonably likely that the Resolution naming the entity will impact the reputation of the Signatory.

(b) Each Signatory will endeavour, where appropriate and possible, to collaborate with the other in World Assembly programs and activities, such as the discussion or drafting of proposals, educational initiatives, or other similar projects.

4. Diplomatic Undertakings

(a) Each Signatory shall establish and maintain in-game embassies (i.e., on the NationStates site) with one another.

(b) Each Signatory shall maintain off-site embassies with one another, consistent with facilities provided to other treatied allies.

5. Intelligence Undertakings

(a) Neither Signatory will engage in espionage against the other. For this purpose, "espionage" is the act of engaging a person to act under false pretenses in a Signatory region without the permission of that region's legitimate government.

(b) The Signatories each shall provide information to the other if such information is pertinent to the other region's security or well-being, or otherwise upon the other's reasonable request, unless the party in possession of such information reasonably believes that providing that information might violate applicable laws or contravene the terms of service for NationStates or a regional communications platform, or when revealing that information would unduly compromise that party's source(s) of information. Both signatories shall endeavor to reveal as much as possible in such situations, but not more than they can under laws, terms of service, or the need to protect sources.

(c) Each Signatory will make it a violation of its internal laws to engage in espionage against the other if a similar or related law to the same effect does not already exist. To the extent permitted by each region's laws, this section shall be deemed self-executing.

6. Cultural Undertakings

(a) Each signatory will endeavour, where appropriate and possible, to engage in social and cultural activities with the other signatory. This can include, but is not limited to, festivals, competitions, and educational events.

(b) As soon as practicable following ratification, The Union and Europeia will collaborate to stage a cultural festival to celebrate this treaty.

7. Recruitment Undertakings

(a) Neither the Union nor Europeia will deliberately engage in recruitment from the other, nor from one another's protectorates which have been established by regional law and communicated to the other signatory. Owing to the status of Europeia as a Frontier region, The Union may send non specifically-targeted recruitment telegrams to newly arrived nations in Europeia within 72 hours of the nation being founded or refounded. "Recruitment" is defined as the communication with a nation with the intent to encourage it to move regions.

8. Civil Rights

(a) Each signatory affirms its commitment to guarantee freedom of thought and expression, including the freedom of faith and of conscience, freedom to profess a religious or philosophical creed, and the right to freely express and disseminate opinions in any manner or medium. Notwithstanding the foregoing, freedom of thought and expression shall not be construed as providing any protection for speech or conduct that a reasonable person would infer is intended to offend, threaten or insult an individual or group, including but not limited to the basis of that individual's or group's sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, language, religion, or national or social origin.

(b) Each signatory affirms its commitment to guarantee the individual rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and association with others.

(c) Each signatory affirms its commitment to guarantee equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination on any ground including sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth, or other status.

9. General Provisions

(a) This Treaty will come into force on the date of ratification by both Europeia and The Union as dictated by their respective governing procedures.

(b) Either Signatory reserves the right to exit this Treaty. The exiting Signatory must make reasonable efforts to notify the other as soon as possible.

(c) This agreement may be amended by mutual agreement of both Signatories.

(d) Upon ratification, this treaty shall be the main bilateral treaty between The Union and Europeia, taking precedence over any other written documents describing a relationship between the regions should a conflict arise.

Thank you Honorable Lord Speaker Jaxson, and thank you to the honorable members of the Council for considering this proposal. The Union has had a long history with Europeia, and while not all of it has been on the best or brightest of terms, I full-heartedly believe that we are at a point to join in arms with them as our allies. Vice President Phoenix, Jaxson, and I worked with Europeia over the last month ironing out details of this treaty to make it the best it can be for our regions, and Pland went that extra mile with the wonderful scripted state dinner. That kind of care and attention to detail is something I want to bring closer to the Union, and I ask that you give this treaty your full consideration.

I shall abstain on this matter for I am neutral on it.

I'll state my opinion here merely for the sake of being known - pretty much everyone thinks differently than me in symbolic matters anyways.

To start with the bad, I'm not a big fan of how Europeia treated TRR during the Aegis situation, mostly in terms of a) refusing to talk to TRR privately and bringing the matter straight to Aegis and b) claiming TRR was acting in bad faith for sharing details on Europeia's actions during the first few days. Add to that that their behavior to us, as Alex mentions, hasn't been the best when it comes to WA politics which they take very seriously, in a way that brings them in direct conflict with us at times - I (until now) didn't really trust Europeia to respect our WA vote and divergences thereof. As I explained to the FAAB, it was for these reasons I planned to vote against.

However, it'd be improper of me to acknowledge that Europeia does seem to want to listen to us now and make things right. The Dinner was a pretty fun thing to do, and I appreciate Europeia letting us recruit from them. Not to mention that we are already allies in the Aegis anyways, so this treaty is mostly a symbolic thing (tho it will mechanically priotize itself over the Aegis). So while I do have reservations and half expect Europeia's FA team to start arguing us into submission the next time we diverge on a WA resolution vote they care about, I do think it's worth giving Europeia another chance. Also, I like Euro's community and know many swag people from there (beyond Phoenix, we all know Phoenix and indeed he js cool).

Make no mistake though. I will eat my shoe if the Executive ever condones Europeia's WA politicking (in the off chance they do return/do said behavior) to maintain this alliance. The Union has the right to preserve its WA sovereignty, there are other ways to bolster FA relationships that don't require us to sacrifice our votes in the WA, and any alliance that thus compromises our WA vote is not an alliance we should be in. I'm hopeful this alliance with Europeia won't be anything like that, but I'm just stating this for the record.

So I'm neutral.

HOWEVER, I do have a question on the treaty, mechanically speaking, which is what does it mean for us to "write" an SC resolution? Does it mean if any Union author tangibly related to the Union writes one, or if it's a res the Union plans to support the writer (regardless if they're a Unionist or not) on, or a resolution that the Union officially works on in a theoretical future WA program? I feel that may need clearing up.

Reactions: Anelyn
I
Neither Signatory will write or vote for a Security Council Resolution

This language is vague. It is unclear whether this refers to the body of the union or of the members in which case we would have to enforce voting rules which would mean if any member of the union votes for a resolution would be wrong.

Last edited:
I would say we wait till the vague writing both council members derp and Alfkarl gets explaind (or changed)

-snip-

HOWEVER, I do have a question on the treaty, mechanically speaking, which is what does it mean for us to "write" an SC resolution? Does it mean if any Union author tangibly related to the Union writes one, or if it's a res the Union plans to support the writer (regardless if they're a Unionist or not) on, or a resolution that the Union officially works on in a theoretical future WA program? I feel that may need clearing up.

This language is vague. It is unclear whether this refers to the body of the union or of the members in which case we would have to enforce voting rules which would mean if any member of the union votes for a resolution would be wrong.
I can entirely appreciate the councillors' concerns regarding the specificity of the word 'Signatory' in the context of World Assembly resolution authorship. This treaty treats the Signatories as the legitimate governments of each region, not the region in its entirety, as recognized in Section 1: Sovereignty. So, with that in mind, the consulting for authoring of resolutions would need only apply to Union Government sponsored authorships, such as ones written by the Union in that theoretical future WA program that Zuk mentions.

As the debate lays dormant I motion to move to a vote

Voting On the Motion will now Commence

On Voting on Motion of The Treaty of Libertia and Pie, Between The Union of Democratic States and The Republic of Europeia

Those who Agree may say Aye
Those who do not may say No
Those who wish to still vote but not vote Aye or No may Abstain In the Vote

(Please vote VIA The Poll)

With four in favor, one against and two abstentions the motion to ratify the treaty passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.