Passed The Charter of Rights

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has passed their respective house's legislative process.

VOTING

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxsonWinter

The Greater Empire of Astrodom
Executive Cabinet
Oct 3, 2022
Awards
Coat_of_Arms_UDS.png

A MOTION

To enact the bill "The Charter of Rights"
Introduced into the Council of State of the Union of Democratic States on the 21st of June, 2023, by Guess and Check (@Zukchiva)
As follows:​

RECOGNIZING that the Union’s regional constitution secures certain rights,
CONTENDING that these rights only apply to individuals, and not nations,
BELIEVING that it is imperative for nations alongside their citizens to be guaranteed basic rights for all,
BE IT ENACTED by the Council of State:

Section 1: Rights of Nations
1. All nations in this Union of Democratic States shall be granted the following rights so long as they remain in the Union’s jurisdiction:
a. The right to maintain a standing military.
b. The right to petition the Union’s governance with any national grievances.
c. The right to maintain a seat as Councillor on the Council of State, so long as all proper procedures have been followed.
d. The right to national sovereignty, insofar as this sovereignty is not restricted by regional statutes for the good of the Union.
e. The right to appeal to the Union’s regional court any matter of regional government or inter-Unionist nation conflict.
f. The right to receive just and proportionate aide from the Union’s government in times of emergency.
g. The right to receive advice and appropriate resources from the Union’s government to further the development of their nation.
h. The right to not face hostilities, military or diplomatic, from a fellow nation in the Union.
i. The right to choose their own national leader, following whatever reasonable processes they wish.

Section 2: Rights of National Residents
1. As a part of the Union, all residents of all nations within the Union are also entitled to the following rights:
a. The right to affordable healthcare, housing, food, water, clothing, and internet.
b. The right to freedom of religion, freedom to petition, freedom to protest, and freedom to assemble.
c. The right to freedom of speech, as limited by statute prohibiting obscene speech.
d. The right to receive a fair trial with due process and due haste.
e. The right to privacy.
f. The right to not be forced to self-discriminate, alongside the right to not be tried more than once for the same crime.
g. The right to not be discriminated against based on age, sex, gender, race, creed, ethnicity, species, disability, or any other arbitrary classification for a truly arbitrary reason.
h. The right to receive proper counsel during any form of trial.
i. The right to not be forced to quarter soldiers in their home.
j. The right to engage in self-defense of themselves, their property, and others with the use of proportionate force.
k. The right to reasonable work expectations, including reasonable work hours, wages, job regulations, and worker treatment.

Section 4: Limitations
1. While these rights are universal, they are not necessarily absolute. The Union government and/or national government may establish reasonable limitations on any of these rights, if not doing so may otherwise cause major disruption to the Union or the citizens of Union nations.

Section 3: Statement of Purpose
1. This law is understood to be for the purposes of roleplaying and therefore non-binding in its entirety.

The head of the delegation from Guess and Check stands up from his seat in the Council. He casts a nervous glances at his fellow Councillors - a small group they may be, but they had come together to do something great. Already they had drafted many regional documents, but this... his hand trembles a little, and he does his best to stuff it into his pocket. This would be the first meaningful step of human progress the Union would ever make as a regional government. Something he's dreamed of as a child, really, coming to fruition. Now all he has to do is create an opening statement and... hopefully convince his comrades that his sloppy writing will guarantee the rights of billions.

Casting another nervous glance around the room, he settles his eyes on the honorable Speaker and begins to speak.

"Our honorable Councillors. Today marks a momentous occasion - the likes of which we have never seen before. The measure we are proposing to this Council will represent the first legislation that adequately addresses the deplorable conditions found in the Union today. For too long, nations in the Union have had the ability to govern themselves wholly on their own, and while this status quo has helped this Union in the past, it now presents a harmful reality wherein many citizens are persecuted or lack basic necessities. While this Charter of Rights that our delegation of Guess and Check presents will not solve all of those issues materially, it is a good first step by establishing the basic principles all nations in the Union's government must follow. Councillors, we implore you: for decency, for justice, and for morality itself, to pass this piece of legislation, and to make history with us today as we make this Union a better region for all its nations and peoples.

Thank you."

With shaky legs hidden inside his suit pants, Mr. Zoyral Seveni III takes a seat. It's only then that he realizes he'd been staring at the honorable Speaker the entire time, and shrinks in a little to himself. Hopefully his lack of eye contact didn't harm his nation's case too much.

"Thank You Mr. Zoyral Seveni, Debate shall Commence In The Chamber on The Current Motion"
The Lord Speaker sits down and gets ready to Overlook the Debate

In the position of the former Vendiagram Delegation to the Council - which could sometimes have been mistaken for lost interns of the Council staff - sits the Chief Complaince Officer of East Chimore, Mar Janse. She pushes closed one of the drawers in the desk in front of her, and raises to her feet in order to best share the thoughts and concerns she has over the potential regulations she would need to review and implement within the East Chimoreian Railways.

Vaguely facing where the Lord Speaker presides from, speaking in a tight and professional tone to none in particular, "Honored Councillors, I and the executive suite of East Chimore are thrilled to see this chamber pivot towards a measure of standardization within the Union. This proposed motion represents a true paradigm shift in how best to protect and entreat our employees, and residents of course. However, I do want to make sure that we don't hand over any unnecessary leverage to bad team players in the form of loopholes and elastic clauses. Specifically I want to direct your focus to section 2.j - as it's currently formatted - and the phrasing of self-defense of others. Now, whenever there is an unruly passenger who takes a swing at our employee, we of course want them to be able to defend themselves and have our other employees join in on their behalf to de-escalate the situation, but this phrasing could allow other disgruntled passengers the contractual freedom to join that first escalated customer in a claimed act of self defense of others. So as to prevent that occurrence and future liability suits, could we as a team change that wording to 'other law-abiding residents'? That would promote best practices in nations of the Union, in our book."

She gives a well rehearsed smile and half bow first to the Lord Speaker's table, and then to her fellow councillors, then sits back down at her desk. She returns to rifling through the drawers, several of which upon opening let out an unfortunately high pitched squeak.

[Ninja OOC edit in response to Zuk's post: I move to strike others and insert 'other law-abiding residents' in section 2.j]

Last edited:
Mr. Seveni ponders the Councillor's words for a moment. He then bends down and scribbles something hastily, before standing up nervously and saying "I thank the delegation from East Chimore for their words; indeed, I would be amenable to such a motion and make an amendment to that effect". He walks hastily towards the Honorable Speaker's desk, leaves the written amendment on the table as gently as he could, perhaps too gently, and returns to his seat whilst trying to ignore all the eyes upon him.

OOC: I second/motion for an amendment to Section 2 clause 1j to be changed to "The right to engage in self-defense of themselves, their property, and other law-abiding residents with the use of proportionate force." Per the RoP, this should thus be automatically put into the bill.

While the Emperor of Phoenix Coalition did not normally make appearances, he felt it was necessary considering this was at the Council of State, a place in which resides the many nations of the region. It was a privilege to be apart of the Council of State, much how it was a privilege to be apart of the Coalition Government. While many sought to criticize and defame his Empire for not being a perfect puzzle piece copy of a Democracy, their nation still very well resided within the region and was respectable within it.

"It pleases me great to be here." He states as Mr. Seveni makes his way back to his seat, "and I am thrilled to see that the Council of State has brought forward an important resolution. While some believe my Empire does not share the same rights already proclaimed and presented here, we do share them and enforce them regularly. For this to finally be presented here surprises me slightly but I am pleased to see the region is making an effort to ensure we have responsible rights everywhere. I'm pleased to see that so far, debate is calm and respectful, that we are working through an important resolution such as this with care as well. Phoenix Coalition will be voting for and I hope others, even some who share some of our ideals, see the thought and necessity for these rights to reach accent in the Council of State and the Union of Democratic States, our proud region."

Phoenix Ember sits, where normally a representative of Phoenix Coalition would sit in his normal formal clothing, awaiting for further debate or a vote to be called.

1687455652978.png

The Speaker, After finishing adjusting his Powdered wig, Stands up
"
As no Other Honorable Members have added to the Debate, i call The Debating Period of this Motion to an end"

"The Voting Period Of The Motion Will Now Commence, Members will vote VIA Electronic Device (AKA The Poll)
As No Amendments that need to be voted on have been raised, Voting on the Main Motion Will Automatically Commence"

The Speaker is handed a Paper, puts on his Glasses, starts reading the paper

"All Honorable Members Who agree with the Current Motion May Vote 'AYE', All Opposed May Vote 'NO', Those who still wish to vote but wish not to vote 'AYE' or "NO' may vote "ABSTAIN'.."

The Speaker Hits the Gavel, Commencing The Voting Period

The Speaker gets up from his chair and is handed the Results
"The Tellers have Conclued;
That in Respect of the votes on The Chater of Rights

The Ayes have 6
The Noes have 0

So The Ayes have it! The Ayes Have it!
The Bill will be passed by the CoS"

Status
Not open for further replies.