To bring into law an Act for the recognition and protection of the Union of Democratic States’ public images, and other related purposes.
Introduced into the General Assembly of the Union of Democratic States on the 6th of August, 2020, by Asdersland, Glacosia, and British Isles and Commonwealth Realms
NOTING that the Union has historically had various symbols in its past;
REALIZING that the repeal of all laws passed prior to the latest Constitution included those laws making official various symbols of the Union;
CONSCIOUS that there are other symbols that have not been made official by an Act of the Congress;
HEREBY, to make official those symbols and provide for their standardization and protection,
THE FOLLOWING IS ENACTED AS LAW:
Section I: Definitions and Short Title
1. This act may be referenced as the Regional Symbols Act 2020.
2. The term “blazon”, for the purposes of this Act only, shall be defined as a description of a heraldic instrument such as a flag or coat of arms. Other forms of the term shall mean the appropriate modification to the definition as is typical for the conventions of English.
3. Those terms specific to heraldry are used as is standard to that field.
Section II: Flags
1. The Union of Democratic States shall have a flag which shall be used as the primary regional flag on the NationStates page of the region, on the Discord server of the Union, and in interregional and regional events where it is necessary or otherwise appropriate to have a flag displayed in representation of the Union
a. This flag shall be emblazoned as Vert, an eagle counter-displayed Argent and body charged with a globe Argent, encircled by thirteen stars Argent.
b. This flag shall be known as the Union Flag.
2. The Union shall also have a flag for the express purpose of displaying on the main page of the region during the month of June and in other appropriate circumstances, in celebration of Pride Month.
a. This flag shall be emblazoned as Barry, one each of Gules, Orange, Or, Vert, Azure, and Purpure, an eagle counter-displayed Argent and body charged with a globe Argent, encircled by thirteen stars Argent.
b. This flag shall be known as the Union Pride Flag.
3. All official flags of the Union shall generally be displayed in the ratio of 2 units in height to every 3 units in width.
4. Other flags may be used as directed by the President of the Union of Democratic States.
Section III: Insignia
1. The Union shall have a heraldic Achievement or Coat of Arms, for use as decoration where appropriate.
a. It shall be mandatory to include the Coat of Arms at the head of all legislative motions.
2. The Achievement shall be emblazoned as Vert, a chief dancetty Or charged with three stars Vert, an eagle counter-displayed Or and body charged with a globe Or, surrounded aside and below by five stars Or; supported by eight pikes proper and two fruiting olive branches proper joined by a field Azure with sword Or, and crested by the façade of a Greek temple Argent.
3. The Executive, Legislature, Judiciary, and Chancellery are permitted to create their own insignia and adopt it pursuant to their respective rules.
a. This includes all Ministries.
Section IV: Holidays
1. The Union of Democratic States shall have the following days as holidays, known as public holidays:
a.Union Day, to be celebrated on 18 December each year, in commemoration of the founding of the region.
b. Regional History Day, to be celebrated on 23 October, in commemoration of the founding of the historically significant nation of Zion Imperium and for the recognition of regional history.
c. Constitution Day, to be celebrated on 2 February, in commemoration of the date of ratification of the most recent Constitution.
2. The President shall be tasked with coordinating the celebration of those holidays which fall within their present term, and may make preliminary arrangements for those that fall outside it.
3. To facilitate the fair working of the Union’s organs of government, the Legislature and Judiciary may declare other days to be holidays, known as common holidays, by their respective rules.
Section V: Official Symbols
1. The official land animal of the Union of Democratic States shall be the elephant (Elephantidae), to epitomize the virtue of wisdom in the Union.
2. The official bird of the Union shall be the harpy eagle (H. harpyja), to embody our strength in the face of adversity.
3. The official flower of the Union shall be the green rose (R. chinensis viridiflora), to exemplify the stability of our Union and the balance of our government.
4. The official tree shall be the redwood (S. sempervirens), to personify the everlasting nature and unending future of our Union.
Section VI: Naming of Regional Offices
1. The Legislative offices of the Union shall be named the Zion Imperium Legislative Complex, in honor of Zion Imperium.
Section VII: Provisions of Implementation
1. The President and Cabinet shall be charged with the preservation and honoring of the various symbols named in this Act.
a. Furthermore, the President shall maintain a repository of all official insignia of the Union of Democratic States.