Issue Three: Minister Interviewed, Election Results

The Union Free Press

Volume I, Issue Three | Wednesday, November 11th | Union of Democratic States
Editor: Glaciosia

Druing wins Presidency

News | Glaciosia
Editor-in-Chief Glaciosia was Druing’s Vice Presidential Candidate
Druing was sworn in as President on November 3rd, along with his Vice President Glaciosia. He appointed the following as his cabinet, who have all been subsequently confirmed:
  • Phoenix Coalition as Minister of Foreign Affairs
  • Kronprinzessin as Minister of the Census
  • Kanglia as Minister of Defence
  • Nuevo San Miguel as Minister of Culture
  • Guess and Check( Zukchiva) as Minister of Justice
Druing has framed his presidency as a continuation of the work done by former President Phoenix, and concluded his speech with the following:
And finally, thank you again for this opportunity. I will show you that my Presidency is not the beginning of the end, but rather the opposite; the end of the beginning.

New Forum

News | Glaciosia
The UDS has a new online home at forum.theuds.org with shiny new features and more. It was announced before the start of the term and the switch over seems to have been smooth and helpful.

MoD Kanglia interviewed

News | Isles
Firstly, would you please describe the ministry that you now head?
So basically the Ministry of Defense is the leadership of the UDS’ military and all things concerning the metagame of R/D(Raiding and Defending)
Why did you accept this job? Did you have any apprehensions before joining?
I mainly accepted this job because I felt like Druing’s administration could use some stability in a sense of having as many well versed people around him as possible, and because R/D is about the only place that I feel like I have an edge over most people in this region. I did have quite a bit of apprehension simply because I just haven’t been as active, but that really is only a thing for the rest of this month and then I won’t be worried.
In your confirmation hearing, you said that you will continue with the ribbons system set up by your predecessor. How will you achieve it?
My goal with the ribbons is to keep Comlogical very close, he’s been a great friend and a great person to have as an ally within the regional military because of how smart he is and because his designing ability is second to none within the region in my opinion. So Com will still be in charge of the ribbons.
Also, in the same hearing, you said that you did not find defence memoranda useful. What is the alternative in your mind?
Personally I feel like memoranda in general concerning R/D isn’t super important. The UDSAF isn’t going to change much, it hasn’t for the two plus years I’ve been around in it. If something changes I’ll make an announcement in the UDSAF server and in the main server.
You were the deputy minister of defence in the previous administration. Are there any initiatives that you started that you want to complete now?
My main goals as far as initiatives are just continuations of Com’s. I do want to take suggestions from others outside to see what they think however.
Do you have any specific policy proposals, say, to increase the number of soldiers in the UDSAF?
I’ve always felt like political policy gets in the way of defending, at least in a region where the military isn’t the main focus. I’ll have incentives for important liberations, but for our size of a region we have fairly decent numbers.
What differences might we see in the MOD now that you are the minister? How will you be different from your predecessor?
Realistically the only difference is that I’m on the same side of the globe as most people so I’ll be able to do updates at the same time as them without destroying my sleep schedule. Myself and Com have very similar styles so I feel like this is a continuation in many ways. Presently, much of the UDSAF is engaged in the delegate transition, the later stages of it anyway.
How long will it take for the UDSAF to be back on the battlefield?
I think it will take until Asders has about a 10-12 cushion on 2nd, then I’ll feel comfortable.
Currently, UDSAF is part of the Libcord, and works with them on all operations. Do you see UDSAF going off on its own?
We could technically, but defending is much better with all of our friends.
You have worked under Phoenix and now will work under Druing? Is there a difference that you may have noticed or is it too soon to judge?
I’m sure there is just based off of personalities, but it’s too soon for me to have any definitive answers there

Deputy Speaker position created

News | Glaciosia
The Legislature has passed, and Druing signed a constitutional amendment to create a position of Deputy Speaker, to assist the Speaker of the Senate in their duties and take their place when on a leave of absence. It has long been suggested that this position should be created, to create parity with the General Assembly and ease the burden on a Senate Substitute for an absent Speaker.

Union Day Committee Act approaches passing

News | Glaciosia
The Union Day Committee act proposed by Thatcher Whitehall is working its way through the legislative process. If passed, the bill would establish a committee of citizens, senators and various members of the Cabinet to organize celebrations for the fifth anniversary of the Union’s founding. It’s proponents say that it would help the region coordinate the events which would likely cross many facets of regional administration, but the greatest impetus for the committees formation –the cross-term nature of preparing for the event– has mostly passed as the newest term has begun.

Senate By-Election in Progress

News | Glaciosia
The resignation from the senate of Glaciosia in order for them to pursue a Vice Presidential run has freed up a seat in the five-person Senate. The candidates are Comlogical and Sacento, who have both posted campaign threads on the forum.
Comlogical is the former Minister of Defence and a long time member of the region, and is advocating for a reformation of the General Assembly, regulation and promotion of the newspapers of the Union and putting the endobacon program of former delegate Dome Artan into law.
Sacento is a Ministerial Assistant in the Ministry of the Census and is advocating for a restriction of General Asembly membership to those who sign up for it, enlarging the Senate and for revamping the Delegate Voting Act.

Submissions Welcome

From the Editor’s Desk | Glaciosia
The UFP is always looking for new content, and we welcome anyone who would like to apply to work as staff writer or submit a letter to the editor, and more!

New Site

From the Editor’s Desk | Glaciosia
The UFP has moved to our new URL at ufp.theuds.org. We would like to thank the Administrative team for this privelege.

Attachments

• Untitled document.pdf
    68.3 KB · Views: 2
  • katie-moum-o0kbc907i20-unsplash(1).jpg
    katie-moum-o0kbc907i20-unsplash(1).jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 44