Failed General Assembly Reform (Amendment) Act 2021

The Speaker or Chairperson may assign this to a thread that has failed their respective house's legislative process.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EUKBICR

The Devil
Citizen
Oct 25, 2020
Awards
A Motion
To Amend the Constitution
Introduced into the Senate of the Union by Phoenix Coalition and British Isles and Commonwealth Realms

BELIEVING that the General Assembly is lacking in activity,
UNDERSTANDING that the lack of a defined membership hampers its effectiveness,
ASSERTING that the General Assembly serves a purpose and should not be abolished,
THE FOLLOWING AMENDMENTS ARE MADE:

Section 1: Amendments

1. Clause 1 of Section 4 of Article 4 of the Constitution of the Union of Democratic States shall be amended to read, “All Citizens, not holding office as a Senator, shall be eligible to apply for membership of the General Assembly. As a member of the General Assembly, the President may draft, sponsor, introduce, and debate motions but may not vote on motions.”

2. A clause shall be inserted following Clause 2, and all clauses underneath shall be renumbered accordingly. This clause shall state; “The Chairperson shall keep an accurate and up to date roster of the General Assembly, including a list of all those who lost their membership due to inactivity .”

3. Clauses shall be added after Clause 1 as follows, and all clauses following them renumbered accordingly:

A. “Citizens who inform the Chairperson of the General Assembly of their wish to be admitted into the General Assembly shall be admitted to it as a member.
B. “Citizens shall lose their membership in the General Assembly should they fail to register a vote on four consecutive bills that they were eligible to vote on. A Citizen may not regain membership until the conclusion of the next regularly scheduled Senate election.”
C. “ For the purpose of the selection of the Chairperson of the General Assembly, should the office of the Chairperson be vacant, all persons eligible to apply for membership to the General Assembly shall serve as members until the office is filled. ”

This bill has been returned to the Senate by the Assembly with amendments. This means that we have to approve or reject this bill in its entirety. We cannot amend it again. For reference I will post the original bill as passed by the Senate.

A Motion
To Amend the Constitution
Introduced into the Senate of the Union by Phoenix Coalition and British Isles and Commonwealth Realms​

BELIEVING that the General Assembly is lacking in activity,
UNDERSTANDING that the lack of a defined membership hampers its effectiveness,
ASSERTING that the General Assembly serves a purpose and should not be abolished,
THE FOLLOWING AMENDMENTS ARE MADE:

Section 1: Amendments

1. Clause 1 of Section 4 of Article 4 of the Constitution of the Union of Democratic States shall be amended to read, “All Citizens, not holding office as a Senator, shall be eligible to apply for membership of the General Assembly. As a member of the General Assembly, the President may draft, sponsor, introduce, and debate motions but may not vote on motions.”

2. A clause shall be inserted following Clause 2, and all clauses underneath shall be renumbered accordingly. This clause shall state; “The Chairperson shall keep an accurate and up to date roster of the General Assembly, including a list of all those who lost their membership due to inactivity .”

3. Clauses shall be added after Clause 1 as follows, and all clauses following them renumbered accordingly:

A. “Citizens who inform the Chairperson of the General Assembly of their wish to be admitted into the General Assembly shall be admitted to it as a member.
B. “Citizens shall lose their membership in the General Assembly should they fail to register a vote on four consecutive bills. A Citizen may not regain membership until the conclusion of the next regularly scheduled Senate election.”
C. “ For the purpose of the selection of the Chairperson of the General Assembly, should the office of the Chairperson be vacant, all persons eligible to apply for membership to the General Assembly shall serve as members until the office is filled. ”

Phoenix has said some very wise words regarding the amendments, though I don't believe I would go to that extent.

Well since the two most needed proposed amendents were not passed, this proposal fails to protect indivuals on announced inactivity, as well as making the Chairperson vote unnecesserily diffuse, we can not pass it in its entirety

I concur, although I support the bill I do not support the way it has handled with LoAs etc. Therefore I cannot support the amendments. It may need to be amended and resubmitted again.

Status
Not open for further replies.